• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

anyone been out lately?

ec30_06

I haven't been out much lately. I took a few out of a creek by my house but they are all under 5lbs in there. I might go somewhere this weekend and look for some bigger ones.

ya we went out thursday night and shot a few carp and a couple of dogfish. also we missed some really big fish too. your best best is to get out on the lakes.

In my area the spawn is if not over is winding down alot,now its rivers & creeks for me,Probably wont get the 15-20s but there is alot of action if I paddle up or down stream walk a ways lookin then move,sometimes I herd em up that way in lower water they like the holes.

im still out shootin. not much but i got a couple big ones. only got the pic of my dog. it was 13lbs. it looks like it beat the state record but by the time i relized it, it was buried over a day and lost alot weight. mad

pic2008009.jpg

pic2008007-1.jpg

pic2008008.jpg

it looks like it beat the state record but by the time i relized it, it was buried over a day and lost alot weight. mad

You have to catch it hook and line to qualify for a state record.

Seems a shame to shoot a bowfin to bury it. They've been roaming MN waters long before the bass and walleye developed, and they don't do any harm. To each his own, I guess frown

Quote:
You have to catch it hook and line to qualify for a state record.

there are is another set of records for bowfishing through the llba

Quote:
Seems a shame to shoot a bowfin to bury it. They've been roaming MN waters long before the bass and walleye developed, and they don't do any harm. To each his own, I guess

carp are the same thing to me as bowfin how come there not a waste they hurt the water system just as much as the carp do rooting up weeds eating bluegill isnt that considered harm???

carp are the same thing to me as bowfin how come there not a waste they hurt the water system just as much as the carp do rooting up weeds eating bluegill isnt that considered harm???

Pike, bass, musky, and walleyes all eat bluegills, too. Should we get rid of them? And I have never seen a bowfin "rooting up weeds". Carp are a species that were introduced to our waters. Bowfin are native. They're a natural part of the ecosystem.

I'm not going to stop you from shooting them, but I wish people would abandon the "shoot it if it's not a game fish" attitude.

you dont shoot many dogs then do you ralph. almost every dog i have ever see has been laying in the weeds. and ya just catch a movement of the fin. and ya i think we should be able to shoot a limit of them darn gamefish as well but for now "if it aint a rough fish i dont want it" and almost every fish that gives me a shot will have a yellow jacket flung his way. there is nothing wrong with shooting drum suckers gar dogs bullys eelpout etc.

same spots as the spring but only the weeds are very thick now. so the fish are there but most are not shootable. My best shooting as come during stable wheather if its after a front stay home.

A friend of mine hit a second spawn during eary fall last year when the water temp hit that magic number.