• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

favorit way to catch em

Cranks for sure, although it doesn't produce as well as many other methods. I just don't have the patience to drag jigs around all day.

Trolling used to work okay for me, but casting seems to be better if I can find where their at.

Shad raps, deep tail dancers, jointed shad raps and minnow raps. When I use a bouncer to keep it down I use a shallow shad rap, floating rap #11, rogue or husky jerk. If the water is stained go with firetiger, silver blue, clown, hot steel or hot olive.

I use the Precision Trolling book to select the deeper lures. Mark 100 feet on your line and use Fireline 10/4 to get them 20% deeeper. Lots of lures will run deep with this setup (Deep Tail Dancers, Deep Husky jerk-baits, Reef Runniers, Yo-Zuri Magnums, etc).

On occasion I have used a small downrigger to control the depth of some of my smaller lures. I would like to do this more, but haven't had the time yet this year. Bottom bouncer with a crank also sounds like a good idea but I worry about stirring up the bottom.

Number 7 Fire Tiger Minnow Rap. Casted or trolled. Make sure you work in some "s" curves in your trolling pattern. Don't be afraid to try unusual things. Trolling in "no mans land" just outside of typical structure. I don't thing the walleyes shut down during the dog days. They some times move off of typical structure.

On weedy lakes that are heavily stocked I tend to focus on weedlines or weedy flats. I have caught walleyes in very shallow water when the surface temps are in the 80 degree mark.

Wind also plays a big factor. If the wind has been blowing for 2 or more days from the same direction I tend to focus on the wind blow structure edges.

Don't be afraid to mix it up.

Cranks, cranks, and more cranks. They're my summer bread and butter, especially when the fish are neutral or negative.

The key is to tick them off. Think big, fast, and obnoxious cranking/trolling. Pound bottom, jerk and stall, hit weeds, etc. Whatever you can do to create a ruckus with that crank will work.

Fewer fish generally, but bigger without a doubt.