• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
TV BOY

Freshwater Shrimp

Freshwater Shrimp,
I have seen these in a few bait places. I want to learn how you use them and what one expects to catch with them, besides diving ducks grin.gif

Fishtrap3, is that because the fish love 'em or the little buggers are difficult to keep hooked?

LinkPhoto?GUID=6aeb50f5-76b3-7c7a-5c7b-1

Panfish love them.I have seen some lakes in the winter where the fish wouldn't eat anything but these shrimp.They are also called grass shrimp or scuds.No not the ineffective weapons of crazy dictators. smile.gif
They are tough to get on the hook due to thier size.I use the finest wire hook I can find.If you can get them on the hook alive there is no panfish that can say no to one.

how do you hook them and what size hook would you suggest?

------------------
I fish, therefore I am.

Fresh water scrimp need alkaline water to live, that's why the Dakota lakes without outlets have them and Minnesota lakes don't. I was fishing one of the Dakota lakes a couple weeks ago[i forget the name] and I was drilling a line of holes about 10 yards apart. One had two scrimp on the ice when I pulled up the auger, the next had a couple dozen. The third had over 200 wiggling all over. There were perch there on the Vex, but you couldn't get them to bite, with all that food. It was like throwing an ear of corn to a hog that has a whole corncrib to feed on. When you do catch them, they are so fat, they look a bit grotesque. One guy weighed one in at the bait shop that day that weighed 2pounds, 6 ounces. I'm going to head out there for a few more days of perch chasing if I can just remember the name of that lake.

icehousebob
When you rember the name of the lake send me an email. Thanks

------------------
Mike
Mike's Maps

The fish love em and they are hard for me to keep hooked anyway.. If anyone has a way of keeping them on the hook please post!!

I have used #8 light wire octopus hooks.I hook them slightly under the shell.If you can get the shrimp big enough (+ 1/2") they will stay alive on the hook for a short period of time.Its ususally one fish per shrimp becuase they are very delicate.
When they are availble in the bait shops in my area they were usually a little on the small side and very difficult to bait up.Probably why they are not a common bait.

I have found them in just about every creek ,pond and lake in my area.I find them under rocks and along the shores where grass grows in the water.They are usually a little bit larger where I catch them going form about a half and inch all the way up to near an inch.If you see a platic bag along a shore line and open it up, it will be crawling with them.Thats my favorite way to get them.I take the trash with too. smile.gif

Back when I lived in Texas we'd use frozen saltwater shrimp for channel cats. Seemed to work pretty good too.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• I live in the burbs  on a cul-de-sac and the plow always leaves a huge pile at the end of my driveway. I bought a single stage Toro, and while I don't have a 2-stage to compare it against, I would definitely buy a single stage again. It's plenty powerful enough to handle the deepest, heaviest snow that accumulates on the driveway. When it comes to the pile at the end of the driveway, you just have to work your way though it by backing out and pushing into it again. Of course, if you're out of town or something and the pile at the end of the driveway freezes you might need to get out a shovel. But for most snowfalls I can clean the driveway in a matter of minutes - you almost have to run behind the thing to keep up with it.
    • Not a fan of leaders, far fewer bites with them on.   I typically run 4 or 6 lb test.  I do run 8 lb in water less than 8-10 ft.  I do this because thr fight is usually off to the sides of the hole, and the line contacts the ice edge at sharper angles.    
    • Just ordered the 16 piece jig kit yesterday. I am excited to get them and get out on the ice as soon as it is safe!
    • Hey,   What lb test line should I be using for Walleyes?  I've been using 4 lb but that seems a little light and I don't want to lose the big one, but don't want to get too heavy either.  Also, what's your input on using a leader?  I haven't but just wondering if I am missing something.
    • In my experience the best solution is to have both a single stage and a 2 stage.  The better 2 stage blowers out there will probably be fine for 90% of our snowfalls and in most cases they do a better job on the smaller snowfalls because they scrape the driveway cleaner.  The 2 stages are nice for the really big snowfalls, windblown drifts, and the snowplow drifts.  You can always deal with the lager snow falls by getting out once during the storm to clear the driveway so you don't have so much to do once its all done.    I've had ok luck with a Snapper single stage handling snow plow drifts and smaller wind blown drifts.  You have to go slow and maybe chop up the drift with a shovel if its too big but its doable.  Even if you have to break up the drift a little with a shovel that can be easier than maneuvering a large 2 stage at times.    If I could only have one blower I'd probably opt for one of the larger single stage blowers.  My wife has a hard time handling my large Toro 2 stage and most of the time its just over kill for smaller snowfalls and ends up taking more time than a good single stage would. My mother in law has the Snapper single stage and she can run that just fine on her own so I think almost anyone could. 
    • I would go with DOM (Drawn Over Mandrel). You can find it on-line just a bit pricey unless ypu have a steel supplier nearby that can order it. http://www.aladdinsteel.com/products/dom_seamless_tubing/?gclid=CjwKCAjwwdTbBRAIEiwAYQf_E0tV3qM59rsqxJ1i9ao2mL2_KQ8HhbIdOj_i1FHOUOd9ycq8L9tY0BoCQbIQAvD_BwE#top 1/16, .062 could produce a lot of shift depending on the lenght of your pivot arm. I like .020 max and grove the solid in a level wind criscross pattern for grease distribution. Being steel on steel grease often. During summer also and drop/raise house several times.
    • I think you are good , you need to have room for a ton of grease.
    • I have an 8-10 year old 2 stage toro snow thrower that I have had no issues with, however looking to purchase a single stage Honda (HS720ASA).  At home I have a relatively flat concrete driveway 40 feet long by 33 feet wide.  I also have a paved walkway and patio leading to the front door.  The toro works great, but it is so bulky to maneuver and seems like overkill for what I am clearing.  Also, when I am out of town and it snow, the wife is not able to use the two stage.  The single stage might be easier for both of us, but I don't want to buy something that will be insufficient.  I live in the cities, in a culdesac, and get large piles of snow at the end of my driveway.  My question is if others who have purchased a single stage under similar conditions have been happy with their purchase?   I can use the Toro at our cabin around the garage, house and parking areas.  I have been digging up my lawn with the ATV plow and am tired of reseeding every spring.  Hopefully this will give me the best of both worlds.  Appreciate the insight.
    • Decided to build own house. Going to do a 8x16 single axle. Question I have is the axle pivot setup, only steel I could find that would fit is 2"ID double X tube and 1 15/16" solid. Putting it inside the 2" has some play approx 1/16". What I want to know is how much play is allowed? I don't want to have stuck rusted pivots. The tube will be about 10-12" long. Open to suggestions, TIA
    • Thank you for the replies!