• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Freshwater Shrimp

TV BOY

LinkPhoto?GUID=6aeb50f5-76b3-7c7a-5c7b-1

Panfish love them.I have seen some lakes in the winter where the fish wouldn't eat anything but these shrimp.They are also called grass shrimp or scuds.No not the ineffective weapons of crazy dictators. smile.gif
They are tough to get on the hook due to thier size.I use the finest wire hook I can find.If you can get them on the hook alive there is no panfish that can say no to one.

Fresh water scrimp need alkaline water to live, that's why the Dakota lakes without outlets have them and Minnesota lakes don't. I was fishing one of the Dakota lakes a couple weeks ago[i forget the name] and I was drilling a line of holes about 10 yards apart. One had two scrimp on the ice when I pulled up the auger, the next had a couple dozen. The third had over 200 wiggling all over. There were perch there on the Vex, but you couldn't get them to bite, with all that food. It was like throwing an ear of corn to a hog that has a whole corncrib to feed on. When you do catch them, they are so fat, they look a bit grotesque. One guy weighed one in at the bait shop that day that weighed 2pounds, 6 ounces. I'm going to head out there for a few more days of perch chasing if I can just remember the name of that lake.

I have used #8 light wire octopus hooks.I hook them slightly under the shell.If you can get the shrimp big enough (+ 1/2") they will stay alive on the hook for a short period of time.Its ususally one fish per shrimp becuase they are very delicate.
When they are availble in the bait shops in my area they were usually a little on the small side and very difficult to bait up.Probably why they are not a common bait.

I have found them in just about every creek ,pond and lake in my area.I find them under rocks and along the shores where grass grows in the water.They are usually a little bit larger where I catch them going form about a half and inch all the way up to near an inch.If you see a platic bag along a shore line and open it up, it will be crawling with them.Thats my favorite way to get them.I take the trash with too. smile.gif