• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

braided line for pitchin'

pantrapper

I use alot of jig and pigs and was wondering what the best kind of braid to use, ive tried a few but, when you catch a fish or a weed and put tension on the line the next time you pitch it sometimes sticks to the spool where it dug into itself, any ideas?

pantrapper, with most braided lines you are going to have this problem after you catch a fish. I personally haven't found a braid that doesn't bury itself into the line after a hard hook set. Some do it worse than others. From my experience I prefer power pro and stren superbraid. I would stay away from spiderwire stealth, but thats just my opinion. It seems to have a waxed coating on it that makes it tough to make long casts (with frogs) and its seems to bury itself worse than other braids. just my .02

what kind of reel are you using/ bait-caster,open faced? i have a bait- caster spooled with 20lb black fireline. i have another bait-caster spooled with 14 lb fire line crystle. y crystle you ask / line watching , perfect for jigging! and i got 2 open faced reels spooled with fire line 20lb and 14lb. if your line is "digging-in" it might be time to get a new reel or thicker diameter line would help that.

Thanks just wondering if there was a braid out there that would not do this, i am using low pro baitcasters like curados, and plueger purists. I might have to try a heavvier line with bigger diamater and see how it goes, it just like the braid for cutting through pads and other havey cover. thanks

I like Sufix braid. It feels smoother than power pro. Check it out and feel the tag line on the box compared to power pro. My buddy switched to Sufix for his flathead fishing. Stren super braid wasn't bad either, but I felt I could cast farther using Sufix. my .02

When you get snagged and the line burys, make a long cast out in open water to get rid of it. (omit getting the snag free) You may need to manually pull more line out to. Reel up fast and pitch away.

When you guys are talking about digging in what do u mean i dont understand. probably because i dont jig and pig that much but i plan to so if u could explain it better to me i could probably try to stop it happening whatever it means lol

When you set the hook on a fish hard the no stretch braid will dig down into the lower layers of line which then causes your problem.

Quote:
When you guys are talking about digging in what do u mean i dont understand. probably because i dont jig and pig that much but i plan to so if u could explain it better to me i could probably try to stop it happening whatever it means lol

Because of the lack of stretch of braid, when you set the hook or get hung up.. you pull hard on the line, it works its way deeper in the spool, so that on your next cast, it gets caught up, causing a backlash many times. You just need to be extra carefull on yournext cast.

Power Pro. I use 30 - 40lb for my flippin. From time to time you may have to manually pull some out then wind it back in with a little tension on the line from your left hand. I use the Red Power pro for my jigging now and absolutely love it.

Try using a thicker braid. The 50 lb Powerpro on my baitcaster seems to eliminate the issue. I think the diameter is in the 17 -20 lb mono class. One of my fishing buddies suggested it to me and it seems to be working

Last year I used Power Pro 50 lb. This year I switched to Suffix 50lb. I like the feel of the Suffix a bit better, real smooth without the waxy feeling. However, I loved my PowerPro last year and think both are great.