• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

fav. jig worm and grub jigs

fishcast

Just wondering what some favorite jigs are for jig worming? And then for swimming grubs? ballhead, mushroom head, or darter heads etc? and why?

I like the all terrain tackle mushroom heads for jigworms when I want a heavier duty hook. However, the lighter wire mushroom jigs I have a bunch of in a different brand rust up real fast and I am looking for other options.

Some other options that i have found but not used:

The buckeye lures spot remover

The chompers stand up jig head(with a weedguard)

The Gambler Giggy head(finesse)

The Luck E strike Shroom head jigs

Those are just stand up or mushroom head jigs. You can also use ball head jig heads.

Hiya -

I fish jigs on fairly light spinning gear (lots of 6 lb test, especially for smallies, and rarley heavier than 8 lb.) so a sharp, light wire hook is a big deal for me. When I fish grubs or jigworms for smallies I'm casting about a mile, so the hooks have to be light and razor sharp to hook fish a long ways out. I also prefer a long shank, because smallies tend to 'head hunt' less than LMB do. The run a bait down and grab it from behind rather than inhaling it. Use a shorter shank hook and you get back half a worm. So here's what I use:

Northland Jig Worm heads. A mushroom head, big bite, long shank Mustad Ultra Point hooks. Nasty sharp, light wire, and hold their point very well. I use them for all sorts of stuff - jigworms, tubes, jerk shads, grubs, paddle tails... Great jigheads.

Northland Mimic Minnow jighead. Similar hook, and a 'fish head' shape with a concave bottom so it glides/swims a little bit. Good for swimming 4" jigworms like Ringworms or Persuaders. Also very good for jerk shads... Matzuo heavy metal heads are similar, but about impossible to find and way, way more expensive.

Owner Ultrahead ballheads - Owner Needlepoint hooks that are scary sharp, and have a smaller collar that won't shred thin soft plastics... I use these a LOT for swimming grubs.

Northland Butt Head football heads. A smaller, lighter (1/8, 1/4 or 3/8 oz) football head with a lighter Ultrapoint hook. Great for lighter line (I fish them on #12 fluoro) with creatures or tubes. Very hard to find a good, lighter football head until these came out. Kalin's makes some, but the hooks are horrible. Lunker City and Gamakatsu make them too, but they're hard to find. Standard football heads have such heavy hooks it's hard to get a hookset with a lighter rod and line.

Bait Rigs Grubmaster - These work so well and are so under the radar I almost hate to mention them. smile They're a really unique jighead. The lead is molded along the hook shank so it's a long, skinny thing, which you can insert inside a grub or a tube, and the bait will fall horizontally and swim great. You can actually walk the dog with the right tube... Great light, sharp hooks too. You can even stick a 1/16 oz or shaved down 1/8 oz Grubmaster inside a jerk shad...

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

I've been throwing a 3/16 Black Title Shot jig with a 7.5 Red Shad Mister Twister Ribbon Tail Worm and it's been dynamite on the Tonka bass lately. Also been switching up with Watermelon too...