• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

bear hunting- bait

Thanks, just haven't seen any posts on it so I figured it was a bad idea.

However, while watching a PBS show about bears, researchers were using STINKY fish for bait to collect hair on barb wire around the bait.

Sounded like a good idea to freeze guts or carp and throw them on the pile when baiting starts.

hey glenn I live in richmond adn have been doen getting bait for about 3 months now. I have about 2000 pund sof sweets for them. do yourself a favor and skip the dog food adn get some bread and grease.

2000 pounds of sweets???

Ummm? are you driving a 18 wheeler into the woods?

We are going to order some bait from Lucky7, I guess they are heading up this way with a load, so we are going to try it.

I always bait between 11am and 2pm, All of our stand are around the lake and the seem to get on a feeding pattern. When the boat leaves the bear seem to come in. All of our bears are shot either within 1 hr. of the boat dropping the hunter off or the last 1hr. of daylight.

Mid morning seems to work good. I'm all over the sweet stuff for baiting. My bro' and my Dad like the fish gut thing and I think that it works better where there aren't berries.

I was eating wild rasberries while mowing up at the cabin just last weekend and I think I may save my bait for awhile. Good crop of natural forage going on where I'm at and want to get going a little later this year.

Anybody else have any thought's about that?

sakazulu i think i would start the baiting. they still will hit the bait even with natural forage. just wait to hunt later in the season i would want to get them into a habit of checking your site. outfitter you will like lucky 7 bait the only problem with it some items you need to by in such large portions makes it tough for the avrage guy buy and store it.

Here is what I am going to war with: Trail mix,dog food, corn, oats, and donuts. Should I put a little of each in a station or stick with one thing like dog food in one and corn in another or am I just looking to far into it.

Biff just relax an let happen man dont think so far into it an just feed the bear. I mix it up some times an some times not, all your stuff us good stuff so dont worry he'll eat it, good luck an dont syck your self out. Boar

Biff, I see you're from Bock. I saw a sign for bear bait when I went through there on Sunday. Do you know who has it and what they have?

wish I could bait mid day I dont get off work till 5 pm. Sakazulu, I was thinking baiting later also but remebered three years ago I took a 300+ boar that hit the bait for the first time three days before legal shooting, I took him on opening day. Had I waited I dont think I would have shot him because of not having the bait smells all over the woods from days off baiting an grease trails from the sow an cubbs that were hitting the bait almost from the beginning. He probabley just kept mosseying along out of the area. So I'm starting on Sunday, wife has us camping before school starts. Gonna be a long weekend. Boar

You know, Boar, that's why I asked. I got a little depressed last weekend thinking too much about the whole deal, having to wait and all. Now I'm back on track and "stoked" like I should be. Thanks to Boar and Putter for saving the season and good luck! Sakazulu

Good luck Sakazulu. I am also thinking though that if nothing serious happens by legal shooting I might pull out an wait till cooler temps, end of Sept. till end of season, every year I hear around my area when I done hunting bear or the money runs out, how the locals are seeing more bear an so an so shot a big one ect.. an it's always during cooler temps. Last year I ran out of money baiting a bear that would'nt show during daytime an the two years ago I ran out of money trying to pull bear of the massive acorn crop. So this year I'm due, no bear by end of second weekend of hunting, I'm waiting till it cools down. Boar