• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First Time Catfish Smoking

I'm planning on trying to smoke some small catfish (under 24 inches) and seeking any tips from experienced fishermen who have smoked cats. I have brine from the local butcher shop and understand the mixture should be one cup brine mix to a gallon cold water. Was told to soak in brine mixture for 24 hours, then wash off and back soak in water for 3-4 hours then smoke.

Can you smoke whole catfish? I thought of removing the head and entrails, washing up and dropping in brine or should I just do fillets? Any and all smoking recommendations would be apprecaited from brining to smoking temps and length of time.

Thanks!

I can't help you with the actual smoking process but as for a recommendation about what part of the fish to smoke, I might have a bit of input. One night at Thorne Bros last winter they had some smoked catfish from Brett Erickson. It was phenominal. He had filleted it out and left the skin on and smoked it that way. Some of the best smoked fish I have ever had. He had a whole bunch there that night, and there was nothing left over at the end of the night.

What he said, fillet and leave the skin on. Sounds like you have the brine already, but I wouldnt re-soak them for that long, I usually just dip rinse them, then smoke them, for more saltier flavor. Sounds good though, now I want some!