• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

how do you cook em

dairyman

put em in a glass baking pan in the oven at 400 degrees for 20-30 minutes. Watch them do not burn.

Add a little water to the bottom of the pan and season to taste with lemons, bacon bits and Lowery's season salt.

Wrap them in Foil with a bunch of butter and seasoning and cook them on the grill, i use lemon pepper and lawrys.

EXACTLY what I do....even tho I havent had a meal of trout in many years....but I will this weekend in Colorado!

How ever you prepare them they will be better if you take the skin off ( fillet them like a walleye ) That is where the fishy kinda taste comes from. Trout have almost all of their fat at the skin. Taste like a totally different fish without the skin.

How ever you prepare them they will be better if

you take the skin off ( fillet them like a walleye )

I haven't eaten trout for a long time, but we always left the skin & heads on and grilled them directly over wood or charcoal. Let the skin get crispy but not burned. They're great. The only bad part is that some people get grossed out when the eyes pop, but there's a lot of meat on the head.

Cook em whole, I stuff the cavity with fresh garlic, fresh dill and/or other garden herbs like sage, thyme, oregano, etc. Or capers. Throw some butter, lemon and a bit of salt in there and you're all set! Cooks great on the grill or in the oven

My personal favorite is smoked though

We do whats called a foil, We take the skins off and on a piece of tin foil we:

1. spread butter or pam on just about the entire sheet.

2. put down 1 strip of bacon.

3. put down some red and green sliced peppers.

4. put down some onion slices.

5. put down 1 fillet of trout.

6. put down a couple slices of tomato and some more peppers.

7. put sprinkle some lowerys on it.

8. put on another fillet of trout.

9. put some more peppers and onions down.

10. sprinkle some more lowerys.

11. put another piece of bacon on top.

12. now wrap up the fish and veg., then wrap another piece of tin foil over so there are two layers.

13. if you are using an open fire, start the fire and let it get down to good coals, spread the coals evenly and lay down the foils. You will only need to flip them once and each side takes about 7 minutes.

If you are using a grill or over it will take longer, we always use the open fire so I don't know exactly how long the grill would take so you will have to experiment.

Good Luck

This also works great with walleye.

I also like them smoked best...doing a bunch of them this weekend.

But you can do them quick and easy on the grill. I fillet them leaving the skin on. An old east coast trick, mix equal amounts of mustard and mayo and spread on both sides of fillets. The fish does not get the mustard mayo taste, but fillets will not stick to grill. Works great!

I like the charcoal taste the best. I make a tin foil pan to place on grill and spray with pam. I leave skin on, I feel that it doesn't allow the fish to dry out as quickly. I then sprinkle a little bit of salt and lemon juice on each side.

Quick and easy.

Here's a freakin' awesome recipe I learned when I worked a summer job at Lost Lake Lodge in Brainerd...got to work with the gourmet chef there when I wasn't doing the grounds work.

Take flour, paprika, parmesan and a few spices you like and combine....

Have your fish butterflied open (skin and head on but guts removed and completely slit open from tail to base of head)

Take the fish, open up the butterfly and place the meat side on teh breading. Tap lightly to ensure the batter has powdered the entire meat portion of the trout.

Please trout, meat side down, in a skillet where the olive oil is nice and hot over medium heat.

Cook the meat side a few minutes until the breading is a nice golden color. Flip the fish over and let it cook for just a minute.

While it's cooking, splash on some galiano liquer and then take a lighter and ignite the liquer in the pan. It will flame for a few seconds. When it's done remove from the pan and place on your plate.

For a nice added touch, take some silvered almonds you've sauteed in butter and place them on the trout.

DELICIOUS!

Don't forget this one:

Grilled Blackened Trout

Any cut will do, but this one is great with steak cut trout/salmon.

Combine 1/2 cup mayo and 1/4 cup olive oil and 1 tbsp lemon juice and add your choice of seasonings/vegetables in a ziploc bag.

Most of this will burn off so be liberal with the spice, like 4 times as much, seriously.

I have used lemon peel, black pepper, habanero or chili peppers, green onions, parsley or cilantro. Whatever you like.

Rinse and pat dry the fish and place in the bag and shake until coated.

Lube up the charcoal grill grate and place the fish on there. 5-10 minutes per side. They are supposed to slightly burn but cover them when they start flaming up.

The idea is the olive oil blackens and burns off while the mayo coats the fish to retain moisture. Tested successfully by many of my friends!

the key with the foil, if that's the route you do, is to be somewhat liberal with the butter and to get a really good char..... if you have enough butter in there, it's tough to overcook the fish, as it will retain a lot of its moisture.... and the browned bits will retain a sweet flavor.....

the biggest problem i have with foiled fish is that if it's not done over a hot enough flame or not cooked long enough, it becomes soggy and lifeless..... (this can also happen if you add too many veggies, if there's nowhere for the liquid to go)

i'll echo everyone else here by saying if you have the time, to smoke them..... a simple brine for half a day (salt and water, do a google search for correct ratios) works well and i usually do a makeshift teriyaki with soy, a garlic clove minced, lots of brown sugar or honey, and some green onions chopped fine, simmer on stove until it tastes right-- you can cook it down a bit to get a slightly thicker sauce that will coat the fish better... (this requires lots of sugar or honey, just add it while you are simmering the sauce 'till it tastes right, but it will be multiple tablespoons).... brush it on a couple times during smoking and you'll have a really tasty treat.....

Its been awhile since I did this as I haven't kept a trout recently (this thread is tempting me).

fillet them like a walleye, coat with olive oil (extra virgin), salt, pepper, minced garlic, a little soy sauce rub and the real secret.. ginger. Cook a couple minutes on each side and you are good the go. The sauce in the pan is just poured over the fish in the plate.

Easy to do in the field if you have the ingredients in little bottles.

yeah.... i forgot the ginger in the teriyaki..... just put in a couple large slices or chunks when you are cooking the teriyaki.... that way you can pick them out easily.... (or mince it super fine so you can eat it without getting a huge ginger blast)