• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bio Bait Report

Matt Johnson

I had the chance to do a little sight fishing on sunday and caught some nice gills and rock bass. The fish were finicky and didn't like a lot of heavy jigs. The fish would come into view in the hole and slowly swim up to the jig and slightly inhale. Too much weight and they spit it out. I tipped some of my jigs with Bio Bait and it worked awesome! Bio Bait's ability to float sealed the deal out there. By tipping my jig with Bio Bait is gave it an almost neutral bouyancy, and when those bull gills and slab rock bass came and inhaled the jig they felt almost no resistance, allowing me to get a good hookset and catch more fish. The action of the slow falling jig tipped with Bio Bait is a deadly weapon for those light biting, neutral-negative fish. So far this winter Bio Bait has been my go-to bait for neutral-negative fish, and because of it my time of the ice has been more productive.

Here are a few pictures:

10 inch gill...
f9fa44ed.jpg

11.75 inch rock bass...
f9fa3f91.jpg

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
First Choice Guide Service

[email protected]
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy

[This message has been edited by Matt Johnson (edited 01-12-2004).]

Sight fishing can be a blast! Hard on the neck though. smile.gif I fish a couple clear water lakes for panfish. Man, dont they look so much bigger in the water? I think this past weekend scarred my GF Julie for life. On Red lake Saturday night, I caught a 42" northern. After a 40 minute fight on 4# line, I had the fish at the bottom of the hole with no way to get it out. The hook was in the back of the jaw so the nose extended beyond the hole. I took a tip up spooled with heavy line and hook to catch the front of the fish's mouth, therefore makeing it possible to bring it in. With Julie holding the flashlight in the hole, I hooked and managed to get the pike halway out of the hole in one sweep, it took about 2 seconds. One second she was holding the light, the next she was back peddeling as the big pike flew partialy out of the hole, along with about 2 gallons of water! shocked.gif After a half hour or so, she calmed down enough to hook a pike that just cut me off. It was a big fish. I figured I had at least 10-15 minutes before the fish would be landed, so I started to clear out the area around her hole. At this point, I'm not sure what happened. The 39" pike shot 3/4 of the way out of the hole with water spraying out, looking just like "Old Faithful"!! Julie screamed and fell backwards! The hook flew out of the fish, but I managed to grab it before it went back down the hole. From that point on, every time she got a fish, she would back away from the hole and yell, "I got another northern!", even when she caught a small perch!! To further her traumatic events, while watching the action of a jigging rapala a few feet below the hole, a huge pike torpedoed her bait cutting it off clean. She didn't think I was watching, but I watched her face go from a natural tone to a ghostly white. To make it worse, when I asked her for my lucky lure back, she started blubbering about some "BBBBBBig ffffish" grin.gif I told her that she needs to relax more, with all the fishing excitement going on this past weekend....She'll need a vacation!!

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

A friend of mine and I were out fishing on South Center Lake and we landed one 2 pound walleye and lost one that looked about 3 times bigger at the hole. We had shiners on a tip-up, jigging minnows, but both fish hit the bio bait I was jigging. I'm sold! I need more for my trip to Mille Lacs!!!

Thanks Matt for the great report!
Richard Smith and I were able to fish some on Sunday morning on Winnie... and did a test on the perch. I was thrilled to see them smack the Mealworm Shiner Bio Bait. And SMACK is the word. I ran a Fox Statler A/C Shiner jig down and had three nice perch on the ice as soon as I got within a foot from the bottom. I could see the fish come up on my MarCum LX3 and they raced up... as if in competition, to hit the jig.
So being as it is me, and I do this regulary, I changed baits... I needed to see if it was the Bio-Bait or not. I removed the jig and tied on another of the exact kind and color with no Bio-Bait. Down I went... no takers! I tryed sever minutes, and went back to the first jig with Bio-Bait... they smacked it!
The Perch also hit Baby Kick-N Craws tipped with Bio-Bait Mealworm Shiner. I rigged them on a Safe Jig Glow Dart. They liked the Kick-N Craws even without the Bio-Bait, and were surely "sight feeding" on the creyfish profile. I must have caught twenty nice ones!
I have to thank Pat Rooney, the owner of Denny's Resort for turning us on to the spot. Richard Smith, John Eggers, and I all had good fishing there! We were on a drop that went from 12 feet to 24 in about 20 yards. My fish came out of 22' of water.
Here is Richard and his catch...
f9f61769.jpg

f9f6176e.jpg

It was great fun!
Catch'n
Dave Hoggard

[This message has been edited by Catch'n (edited 01-13-2004).]

Can it be luck, that is why I love catching the big pike. You never know what they are going to do and it is so much fun when you get the unexpected. I was using bio-bait this weekend tiped it on a glow red angel-eye and just about had the pole ripped out of my hands by a 6 pound pike. The drag was screaming the way that fish was fighting I thought the state record was about to come up the hole great fight for a smaller pike.

I too have used the new bio-bait (just haven't had time to post results). I have to say that I like the fact that they stay on the hook and you don't have to re-bait everytime you catch a fish. Another advantage to using it instead of waxxies is that they don't die and last forever and I have yet to have the package open up in my pocket, I put one of my coats on the other day and found the remains of some wax worms from a panfish outing with my boys last year, I tell you I would much rather put my hand in a pocket full of bio-bait than year old wax worms.

Anyway, I had great luck with the bio bait. I had one rod with wax worms and the other with bio-bait, and caught twice a many jumbo perch on the bio-bait than the worms.

Great product!! Can't wait to see what you will come up with next!!

If you get a chance to sight fish through the ice in shallow water take the opportunity. You will learn a lot and it will make you a better fisherman after you soak in all the things you "see". Little things that you never thought made a difference make all the difference in the world. Paying attention to tiny details can mean more and bigger fish when the times are tough, and even sometimes when the fish are swimming around in kamikaze mode.

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------

[email protected]
MarCum
Stone Legacy

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Hi Heather,
you can get it and order it at:
http://catchn.com

You may also want to check out the MarCum and Compare it to the Vexilar to see which you prefer. Cabelas should have both there for you to compare.

The uses for Bio Bait are endless. You can add it to a whole minnow, a part of a minnow, maggots, plain jig or hook, etc. I like to thread on one small euro larva and then I add a piece of Bio Bait to a small jig as well, it allows the jig to free fall through the water driving panfish crazy and will often times end up in a strike. I've also had success using just Bio Bait on my jigs and spoons. I really like the action that a spoon has when tipped with Bio Bait. That treble hook almost floats when tipped with Bio Bait and the action of the treble incoordination with the spoon is something that a lot of fish haven't seen before and that can mean a lot of more fish. You can adjust the size of the piece of Bio Bait you put on to get the desired action and weight. Check out this link for more info on adding Bio Bait to achieve the desired bouyancy:

Bio Bait and Bouyancy

Getting that spoon to act like a minnow feeding on the bottom is easy with Bio Bait, just tip the trable with about a 1-inch piece of Bio Bait and when you let the spoon drop to the bottom the treble end will stay up if you work the spoon in small 4-5 inch lifts.

The best thing to do is to try different size pieces and different ways of hooking them in order to find a presentation that you like. A lot of ways you can do this and some ways will work better then others on different days. I like small ice jigs tipped with one or two Ice Bits for crappies and gills. Walleyes love 1/8oz spoons tipped with a 1-inch section of Bio Bait, as do perch. Mix up a few different flavors and see what works. Bio Bait is a powerful tool to have out on the ice and has helped me catch more fish this winter.

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------

[email protected]
MarCum
Stone Legacy

[This message has been edited by Matt Johnson (edited 01-14-2004).]

Matt's right about the things a person can learn from sight fishing. I guarantee you'll learn so much about fish behavior. You'll be surprised how many panfish take baits without you even knowing....unless you're watching of course. smile.gif

------------------

Another great thing about Bio Bait is that you determine the size of piece you put on, with exception from the Ice Bits. If you want a small piece to add to your presentation then so be it, if you want a big piece to hide the whole hook then that works too.

One more thing that I noticed with Bio Bait that is very unique and can be very effective on certain days and for certain conditions, is that by adding two (or even more) different flavors/scents of Bio Bait, you can expose something to the fish that is totally new to them and that can, and will, often times mean more fish. It may sound odd but it works. I know its tough to picture a minnow and a leech hooked on the same hook, but with Bio Bait you have the same texture, action, and appeal whether you hook on the leech, nightcrawler, larva, or whatever flavor of Bio Bait. Nothing visual changes except for color. This method of combining Bio Bait is something that will be geared more towards open water fishing, but I can attest that is has worked for me this winter, and on more then one species of fish with very explosive results.

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------

[email protected]
MarCum
Stone Legacy

I went out to a small lake north of here last night to try the Bio Bait buoyancy test, I set up on about 14 fow on a drop from 9 shiners alone did not work, so I tried a piece of the leach threaded onto a Northland glow hook to make a jig head, tipped with a shiner through the lip and a micro sinker it floated so slow down the hole, that the shiner stayed almost level going down it also had a very natural look. Within 2 min down and a couple jigs I had an eye on about the size of a cigar but,Bio Bait proved it works. I got 3 more small ones no keepers but action is action and Bio Bait proved to be the ticket. I tried without on another pole with a glow jig and a shiner and not a bite. I also tried the bio bait shiner on a pimple and hit a pike.
Any thoughts on lakers and loopers and bio bait?

Bio bait is an excellent enhancer to your bait,

------------------
en kala
(I fish)

[This message has been edited by frozenminnow (edited 01-16-2004).]

Yep, added to live bait it really gives off some great action and appeal, you gain some real nice triggering power. Bio Bait has been my go to bait so far this winter and it is been great for when nothing else seems to get the job done. I haven't tried Bio Bait on Lakers but I would believe that when tipped on an airplane jig with a back end of a minnow that Bio Bait would work just fine. You can even tip your tube jigs with Bio Bait as well.

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------

[email protected]
MarCum
Stone Legacy

Matt, thanks for the great reports!
I have added some of your information to the www.catch-n.com site.
What would you think about a Bio-Bait FROG flavor? Made from real frogs....
I know that CRAWFISH is going to be a hot one for open water, this summer. And think the we should field-test FROG this year, for next year.
Would you be game for testing FROG?
I have seen plenty of times when the eyes I cleaned were full of frogs.
Catch'n
Dave Hoggard

------------------
Fishermen are catch-n on
Catch'n Tackle
For Bass, Walleye, Pike, Lakers, Trout, Panfish
Used by FishingMN Family

Dave:
How about smelt and cisco flavor for the big lake? Joel at end of the line charters may be intrested in this. Sucker and cricket may be good also.
Frog sounds like a good caster in weeds for monster pike. I cant wait to try bio bait on the summer waters.
I would think any live bait could be succesfully made into biobait. shiners chubs suckers even flies all must have a different taste.

------------------
en kala
(I fish)

Thanks Dave, looks great!

Definitely, I think frogs will work as well. I've also cut up some pike in the winter that had frogs inside. Frogs have been a great bait for open water bass as well. Sure I'll test out Frog Bio Bait. If its anything like the Bio Bait already out there then its going to catch fish! I can see the Frog Bio Bait being deadly when pitching a jig into the weeds or working a top water popper even. A lot of ways that I can think of that Frog Bio Bait can work.

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------

[email protected]
Iceleaders
MarCum
Stone Legacy

I vote for Nacho cheese or Jalepeno flavors....That way I can eat them!! grin.gif......."Hey, pass me that Bio-Bait!"........"Uhhh", Burp..."Sorry, we're all out of Bio-Bait, but can you pass me a soda?".

------------------

[This message has been edited by can it be luck? (edited 01-18-2004).]

LOL!!!

Can it be luck?,

I can see it now...
"One for the fish...two for me...one for the fish...two for me...."

I don't know how good that hook would feel in the mouth though if you mistaked the fish's for your own wink.gif

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------

[email protected]
Iceleaders
MarCum
Stone Legacy

You can order it from the Catch-N Tackle website. Priced very reasonable and you get quite the portion of Bio Bait.

Bio Bait is different then Gulp. One of the main differences is Bio Bait's ability to make the presentation totally neutrally bouyant, this can play a huge role in catching fish or not catching fish. When a fish feels resistance in a negative manner, it sends signals to the fish telling them that something is wrong, and simply enough the fish spits out the bait as fast as it inhaled it, its instinct. But with Bio Bait the fish will feel no resistance, oh yeah, except for the hook set wink.gif Often times fish will feed so delicately that a 1/64oz jig, or less, will be inhaled and spit out all in one millisecond. Sometimes these fish are feeding on microscopic organisms freely moving about the water, and the weight of these organisms can't even be measured without extreme sophistication. What Bio Bait does is allow you literally "float" your presentation throughout the water column in a weightless manner, making even the lightest fish inhale a success.

Bio Bait Crappie
fa47f5bd.jpg

I'm a true believer that the ability to disguish a presentations weight is a key part of increasing your catch, for both size and numbers. The easier a fish can feed, the easier you catch the fish. This is true especially through the ice, when fish are feeding on smaller, lighter prey. The way I look at it, we are just making the fish's job easier smile.gif

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------

[email protected]
Iceleaders
MarCum
Stone Legacy