• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crappie Length to Weight Conversion

I was lucky enough this past weekend to catch and release a 15 1/2" crappie and am wondering what the approximate weight of this fish would be? Looking back I may want a replica of this fish on the wall, I did take pictures so it shouldn't be that difficult to get a good replica, but I am curious to what the approximate weight of this fish would be.

Thanks in advance!

SUNNYD

I think a 16 inch crappie is usually around 2 two pounds. There are tables that say they weigh more than that, but that's what I've found. A nice fish.

[This message has been edited by Fourplay (edited 01-12-2004).]

to calculate the weight use this formula

((Girth x Girth) x Length) / 800 = weight in pounds
(girth and length are inches)
Example:
If the fish’s girth is 15 inches and its length is 29 inches, the formula would be used as follows:

15 x 15 x 29, divided by 800 = 8.16 pounds
Then the ".16" or "16/100" is converted to ounces (multiply by 16)
.16 x 16 = 2.56 or 3 ounces
so this fish is 8 pounds 3 ounces

You should post a pic of that slab it would sure be nice to see it.
It's always nice to see a good catch.

------------------
en kala
(I fish)

FrozenMinnow: I don't think that formula works for panfish... I would say a conservative girth estimate on this fish would be 12", so (12*12*15.5)/800 = 2.79 pounds.

More likely the girth of a big crappie is about the same as it's length, so if this was the case this formula would come out to 4.65 pounds!

So as you can see that formula works good for walleye, pike and muskies, but for panfish, it will be way off.

Hey Sunny, nice fish! I am going to say your fish was about 2 1/2 pounds. Just a rough guess but based on experience this would be pretty close. A legitimate 14 1/4 incher is pretty close to 2 pounds this time of year. I would imagine, depending on how you measured the fish that it would be atleast 2 1/2 pounds. Nice fish!

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
(320)293-3287
www.millelacsguideservice.com

Hey Scott.

Thanks for the information! That is what I was estimating as well just by feel, but I wanted to confirm with people who would know.

I really wanted to drop you an email about the RCL co-angler you were looking for a couple weeks ago. We could have an all Speckville boat! Yes I am from Richmond too, you will remember me from the golf course. But with our first baby on the way I don't know how much time I will be able to dedicate chasing walleyes this year. Let me see 85 days on the water last year, divide that by about 5 and that should give me my projected total for this year. New boat will not get a very hard work-out this year I guess.

Maybe sometime in the near future I will have the priviledge to do some serious walleye fishing with you.

Take care and thanks again for the info...

SUNNYD - aka John Sundet

p.s. If I send you the picture Scott can you post it for me?

[This message has been edited by SUNNYD (edited 01-12-2004).]

Frozenminnow:

I've used that conversion formula for the last 8 years, and I think it works far better for long-bodied fish (well, relatively long-bodied fish) like pike, 'eyes, trout and catfish.

Pannies are so short and tall and narrow that I've found it doesn't work as well for those.

I'm going to disagree with most everyone else about the potential weight of that 15.5 inch crappie. I've caught crappies to 14.5 inches, and the biggest of them weighed 1.4 pounds. I don't buy that an extra inch of length will get you another pound to bring it to 2.5 pounds. I think your 15.5 inch fish might have weighed 2 pounds. Maybe. And the longer a fish is, the more weight is packed on by adding another bit of length.

In the end, who cares? A crappie that long is a fish, if not of a lifetime, at least of a season, so congratulations. grin.gifgrin.gif

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 01-13-2004).]

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 01-13-2004).]

We weighed two fish a couple of weeks ago, one crappie was 15.75" and weighed 2 lb on the nose, the other was exactly 16" and weighed 2.2 lbs. A centimeter in a pannie makes a world of difference. Two incredible fish that I will never forget, caught less than 30 minutes apart.

------------------
Matthew J. Breuer
Northcountry Guide Service
[email protected]

according to the formula it shows it is 2 lb 13 oz. that is possible I would re measure the girth to be sure though,
(12*12*15.5)/800 = 2.79 pounds.
.79 * 16 = 12.64 rounded to 13 oz.

we got a 14" at Red last year it weighed 2 lb 3 oz and several in the 11-13 range and they all went 1.75- 2 lb
The Minniesota state record is 21" 5 lb.

------------------
en kala
(I fish)

[This message has been edited by frozenminnow (edited 01-13-2004).]

Now! Thats a slab! Thats even gotta have MJ5 drooling grin.gif I know its got me craving URL.
I dont think the formula is far off on this one though.
Congrats on the nice fish.
You should go to

http://www.minnesotafishinghalloffame.com/Master_Angler_Program/Applications/applications.html

Fill out the application, you now qualify for the master angler award.
Congrats on the slab.

------------------
en kala
(I fish)

I would say that fish, 15 1/2", is pushing 2 pounds. I've caught 15" plus crappies from Rainy Lake, Lake of the Woods, Red Lake, and other smaller lakes in northern Minnesota and not a one was a legitimate 2 pounder. I think a person has to shoot for 16" to reach that mark on most bodies of water. Usually goes like this (general idea)~ 12" = 1 lb, 13" = 1 1/4 lb, 14" = 1 1/2 lb, 15" = 1 3/4 lb or a little more.

My observation anyway. Still a nice fish in my book. Congratulations!

------------------
Jaw Breaker Guide Service
Phone: 218 778-0087
[email protected]
http://fishtec.com/guide.htm

For starters it usally depends where you are fishing. I don't know where Steve Foss is fishing but I have never had a crappie 14 1/2" weigh in less then 1lb.12oz. When crappies start to hit 13" on up it matters on thick they are and how wide they are. I have had 2- 14" crappies laying side by side with one of them being a 1/2" wider and it had 1/2" thicker shoulders, at least 2-3oz larger. My largest has been a 16 1/2" weighed 2lb 13 oz. (I mounted that before catch and release became popular). Congratulations SunnyD that is a trophy and depending on the width and the shoulders, it could very well hit 2 1/2 lbs.

Have Fun!

Greg you are right on the money. Looked at my fishing log and I recorded 14" crappie
1 LB. 8 OZ. 15" crappie 1 LB. 13 OZ. These fish were caught west of Remer. A 2 pounder is a hog.

Does anyone remember about 18 years ago the 4 pounders caught at Battle Point on Leech?

Ok guys, you almost have me laughing here. You can't just throw out a formula for fish because nothing takes into account the time of year. You will notice that I said in my first post, this fish would way roughly 2 1/2 this time of year.

Much different in summer and in Spring. A 15 1/2 inch fish caught this time of year can and should way over 2 pounds. As we get closer to spring this fish will put on ever more weight. Post spawn, reguardless of the success of the spawn this fish will lose weight.

I have caught 14 1/4 inch crappies in the winter (Jan) that have weighed 2 pounds exactly. The same length fish prior to spawn weighed 2.36 pounds. I have yet to catch one that size post spawn but I would guess it would be under 2 pounds based on smaller fish I have caught.

I can also add that I have never seen a 15 1/2 inch slab weigh under 2 pounds anytime of year. Just some observations.

Sunny, I knew exactly who you were before you mentioned your name. Nice slab and I am still going to say it was roughtly 2 1/2 pounds. Great fish!

Roadkill, I think your data is pretty good!

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
(320)293-3287
www.millelacsguideservice.com

Thanks for the compliment scott! Sounds to me like you have had your share of big crappies. I don't know how old you are, but are the big crappies still able to be caught in Mille Lacs in the winter? 20 years ago it was more of the locals only fishing for them. We managed to get on to them, it was great! They would bite all day slow but steady and you could get your limit of 12"-14" fish.

Have Fun!