• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Kids and early Ice

icebum1

We're in central Il, only have about 3" of ice on some areas. I'm fishing on 2 1/2 getting some nice crappie. Here comes a guy off the bank with two kids probably around 8 or 9. No spud, PFD's or anything. He didn't even check befor he got on the ice.How can you educate these people on the dangers of this sport?It was like that Jackson character hanging his kid over the hotel balcony. Just somthingto think about!

I know what you mean,see it all the time. You have to make a decision, do I just mind my own business or go tell the guy hes not being a very good dad putting his kids at risk. and possibly ruining everyones day by "getting into it" with him when you should be having a great time fishing.
Worst one I ever saw was at home, I live on the Mississippi just south of Clearwater I look out the living room window and see a guy in front of one of the newer houses on the other side of the river. Hes on the ice that has formed out to maybe 40 yards from shore. hes about 3 feet from the wide open river putting up a tip-up and has two little kids that looked to be about 6 or 7 trying to ice skate right behind him. Didnt even think about that one--I just ran as fast as I could down to the rivers edge on my side and started screaming at the top of my lungs at him to get those kids the hell off of there. Really makes you wonder about some people. How can they possibly be so dumb? If he would of been by himself I would have just left him be and figuired its his own fault if anything happens.

These are old strip mine pits we're fishing in 50' of water. Crappies were 12' of the bottom by the way. We have pics, ropes , pfd's the whole deal, but to have to pull a youngster out would be very stressfull.I wanted to leave but stuck around to make sure they would be alright. The guy must of not had a clue ,he ruined are day on the ice.

Do not hesitate...
It is best to say something if you see kids are in danger.
A good way is to yell out "Ya'll stop right there... OK... spread out some"! Announce to them that the combined weigh of them all is too much to all be in one place... and begin the list... "do you have picks?", " a rope?", "pdf's under your jackets?"...??? Your verbal "announcement" will help educate the kids... if not the old man.
Then, offer them a rope to use.... just in case they do not get it!
They'll get the picture.
Catch'n
Dave Hoggard

------------------
Fishermen are catch-n on
Catch'n Tackle
For Bass, Walleye, Pike, Lakers, Trout, Panfish
Used by FishingMN Family