• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trout spots with handicap access?

shipwrecked

Greetings all...

I've just gotten back into fishing after about 15 years away from it. So far I've been been to a few trout streams in southern MN and have been having a blast with it. To make a long story short, my Dad is now interested in getting out to do some fishing as well. Unfortunately he has a few health issues and while I wouldn't quite go so far as to call him handicapped, he does have a number of limitations in terms of how far he can walk, endurance, etc so I'm thinking if I find a place I can take him that is handicap accessible that he should have no problems. So, with that explanation out of the way, does anyone have any suggestions on trout fishing locations that are handicap accessible and fairly close to the Twin Cities? When I say fairly close, I'm thinking no further south than Rochester.

Thanks in advance!

Shipwrecked,

You can try Courthouse in Chaska. I think that it may have had a partial kill this winter, but there is some trout in there now. I was out on Sunday and had 1 hit my spoon and saw a half dozen on the surface feeding. Has a fishing pier close to the parking lot too.

I would second Courthouse in Chaska, there are still some fish to be had because they restocked it and fishing has been pretty good down there. I would suggest throwing out some trout powerbait on the bottom with a 1-3 foot leader and just let it sit. This is the method most people are using now and it has really been working. From the north parking lot there is a path that goes right down to the pier and there is open grass to the right of the pier where you could easily fish.

I know you want spots in the Twin Cities, but if you ever want to do a getaway and drift a little south of Rochester, you could find some spots near Lanesboro. Take Hwy 16 out of town and go to the Lanesboro DNR office and hatchery. Duschee Creek runs past their office and there have been improvements including a wheelchair accessible trail added. Duschee is a good trout stream. Also, in Lanesboro by the dam on the Root River there is a wheelchair accessible sidewalk that leads to some good trout spots. Could be a nice weekend for you and your dad, or a nice little day trip. Beautiful country besides.