• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Swimbait Hooks?

Daze Off

For baits like Yum's Money Minnow or the SK Shadalicious, what kind of hooks are you guys throwing with them? I've tried 4/0 and 5/0 Gamakatsu weighted hooks and they are just not big enough. Then I got some Gamakatsu GMag hooks that just say "oversized" under hook size and they fit fine but are not weighted so the bait rides up and hook weight is not enough. Any suggestions?

Saw Bill Dance fishing them with 6/0 Gamakatsu weighted (1/4 oz) on TV this weekend but people say that you can't get them - probably a prototype he was using. Bought the same size hook and weight from another manufacturer from Thorne Bros but it ruins the action of the bait.

I get mine from Eiron Breaker Lure Company. A internet friend of mine from Missouri. He made me some 6/0 and 8/0 weighted that work great. And his prices are VERY hard to beat. Would post a link here, but not sure if that is OK. Google Eiron Jigs and you'll find it.

Thanks Fluker! Will check it out.

JP - Deal is that hooksets have been a problem since there is so much plastic to go through. Pretty well fills up anything less than a 6/0 and even then the back of the hook rides pretty tight to the belly of the swimbait.

One friend of mine uses the GMag or similar and threads a small bell sinker with wire eye so it hangs below the bait but weeds are an issue in that case.

Are you talking the 5.5 inchers or the 3.5 inchers i have both but i havent used them yet so any type of help would be great. do u get hammered by northerns too? as for hooks at gander mountain i picked up a kit with nothing but swimbait hooks from 3/0 all the way up to 6/0 have you gave them a try. I believe it is an eagle claw kit u might wanna check em out