• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

sorry to come here looking...

for help again. But recently I had a quick yes or no opportunity to buy a Nikon D100 with a Nikon battery grip for $200. On impulse I bought it knowing I would like to have a spare body for a last minute offer to shoot a wedding this coming up weekend. It feels like a good deal for a back up body. The test shots I have taken seem to be acceptable. Definitely yesteryear technology but acceptable. The 180 sync speed is a killer for sure but as a back up for $200 it seemed worth it.

My question is for those of you with advanced exif data viewing capabilities, can you identify the number of shutter clicks on this camera from the image I have posted? I have included a simple shot taken while on a hike with my dog this weekend. I have a mac and can't seem to get the shutter count with either CS3 or Exif Viewer. I know there are additional capabilities with Window machines. Please let me know if there is additional info I can post that would be of help. Good luck and I am very appreciative of any response.

Here you go...

picture-5.jpg

As far as I know on a Nikon the only way to tell shutter actuations is if the camera is set up for a continuous count on the file names. If that's turned off or reset you're out of luck. I've been wrong before so maybe someone else can correct me if I am.

I didn't know you could read exif data from some cameras to get a shutter actuation count. Can you do that with Canon? I had mine set to reset for the longest time, but set it to continuous a month or two ago.

Sorry to hijak, but could someone check this pic and see if you can read it from one of my images?

2626201821_8d174307ee.jpg

I am not familiar with Nikon but my EXIF readings didn't show anything resembling a shutter count. I did download a program called "Preview Extractor" specifically for Nikon but I am thinking you need the original RAW file to make it work. Give that a try.

Tom your shot has no EXIF data in it so I can't even try. The only Canon cameras that have reliable shutter count that I am aware of are the 1 series cameras. Any other and only Canon can tell you that.

I did some searching through my computer and couldn't find anything. Unfortunate cause I would love to know just how many clicks my DRebel has. I would have to say it is well over 50k. In the last month and a half it has over 3k and that is low average for me. I have had her since Thanksgiving of '03 I think.

Thanks for checking guys. I can find the total number of clicks in CS3 on my other camera. This number differs from the picture file name by about 300. I just don't have the same field available for the D100.

With a little more searching from DBL's advice regarding Preview Extractor, I found that the D100 is excluded from the cameras this info can be obtained from this software. Another site inferred the same.

I guess I'll just have to take the sellers word at around 12k. Not a big deal since I bought the camera anyway. However if the actual count was around 100k, the purchase price of $200 would seem like a not so great of a deal.

Again, thank you for your responses.