• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Quick Health Update

Spent 2 1/2 hours at the docs today. Consensus is that I pulled either a tendon or a ligament, good news nothing torn. Hope and I were discussing subluxation at the GTG as she has had surgery for that.

"The kneecap slides up and down a groove on the end of the thigh bone as the knee bends. This groove is called the trochlea. The kneecap is designed to fit in the center of this groove, and slide evenly within the groove. In some people, the kneecap is pulled towards the outside of the knee. As this happens, the kneecap does not slide centrally within its groove.

Also called patellar subluxation, patients who experience an unstable kneecap have a kneecap that does not slide centrally within its groove. Depending on the severity of the patellar subluxation, this improper tracking may not cause the patient any problems, or it may lead to dislocation of the patella (where the kneecap fully dislocates out of the groove). Most commonly, the tracking problem causes discomfort with activity, and pain around the sides of the kneecap. Patellar subluxation is a condition that usually affects adolescent, and sometimes younger children."

The doctor thinks when I kneeled down I may have dislocated the knee cap as I have subluxation on both knees. Saturday I couldn't stand the pain so I wrapped the knee very tightly in an ace bandage, by this morning I could walk on it again although I can still feel some pain and pressure. May need to see an Orthopedist.

The feeling of being ill and difficulty with shortness of breath is another thing. I have had a condition for at least 10 years called Atrial Fibrillation, short synopsis is the electrodes in the heart misfire and the heart starts beating rapidly and very irregular. Thus less oxygen is getting to the brain and other organs. I usually get maybe 2 of these incidences a year and I can usually tell when it happens. This time I am what they call in A-Fib and didn't even know it (although I really did suspect it). It is not as severe this time, but the downside is that I am at a relatively high risk for a stroke. I am going to see an Internist on Thursday to discuss my options, I have seen a cardiologist in the past and we talked about someday I might be in this condition all the time. I hope that is not the case. The upside to this disorder is that I now have a perfectly good excuse for acting a bit loopy. I know that I will really have to crack down on my diet (yuck). But the old leech lady needs to hang around for a while so I guess it is a necessary evil. He also advised me to cut the stress out of my life and I told him I would, but I don't have a good divorce attorney. Just kidding, the girls know the old grouch drives me nuts, but heck it's been 37 years already I guess a few more can't hurt.

Barb - glad to hear you are having it checked out.

My daughter dislocated her kneecap playing hockey 3 years ago. She just had surgery on May 7 - a lateral release on the outside, and an incision on the inside to tighten up the muscles so the kneecap tracks better. Therapy is wonderful - she's doing great.

Let us know what happens Thursday (if you don't mind). I will be praying for you. After all, we do need our leeches (he he).

Barb,

As you know my knees are doing much better since my surgery it was a pain to have it done but now I don't fall down because of it, I still fall down but not because of my knees. In fact with my move this last weekend I went up and down stair more times than I thought was possiable. The only reason my knee hurts is because a metal bedrail fell on it.

I am thinking of ya. My friends used to call me "Gimpy" can I call you that now? I have always wanted to call someone that besides myself.

I should be able to log on from my new place stating tonight so I will be able to check back more often. Take care of yourself and keep us updated.

Hope

Saw the Internist today, he reviewed the EKG and although it had said atrial fibrillation I was actually in sinus rhythm which is normal. He said that sometimes a patient could move slightly and it can give a false reading to the machine. I still have to deal with the shortness of breath, so now it will be more tests. Trust me, I ain't ready to pack it in yet.

Geez...I hope things turn around for you. Hearing things like ekg and fibrillation and the like in the same sentence never sounds good(I have no idea what fibrillation really means, but it don't sound too good)