• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cut frozen/thawed suckers

slipperybob

Now normally I don't used it this way and I usually get them fresh/alive. Anyway I had some leftover and decided to freeze them. One week later when catfishing again and the turtle's were really into it. Well I couldn't figure out if it were turtles or just small kittys nibbling. I was getting bites quite often, enough to say, something was biting anyway. It were just subtle small tugs and sometimes the swimming away with the bait, but everytime I when to set the hook, I came out empty and bare hooked. Anyway so when I get to my last two pieces of cut sucker and I've down sized my hook to size two bait hook. I finally caught something that which I thought was a little flathead for sure. After seeing some skin color I was sure a little flathead, then finally got it close enough to see and it was a softshell turtle.

If you're using chunks of sucker when this happens, try filleting the sucker and threading it onto the hook. It helps sometimes.

If I start catching turtles in one of my spots, I usually move. There may be fish there, too, but I would rather get away from those little leatherbacked bait thieves.

I haved used frozen/thawed sucker many times and finally had to quit doing it. Once the sucker thaws out the flesh is pretty mushy and is pretty difficult to keep on your hook, as opposed to fresh cut sucker. The fish that are biting on your line are likely nibbling the sucker right off the line just like tiny sunfish and worms.