• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Intersting Survey, Please Reply!

fishlakeman

I was reading an article in an ice fishing magazine and it was the most interesting article I have ever read. It was written by Dave Genz who is one of the most respected ice anglers in the country. This quote from him really caught my eye. "I can't even think of one good fishing spot on the south east side of a lake." "I'm thinking of the hundreds of lakes I've fished. He also mentiones that every south section of a lake has been poor. {This just pertains to ice fishing} I myself haven't had a constant producer on a south side of a lake; just a few decent outings.

So here's the Question:

HAVE ANY OF YOU HAD A CONSTANT FISH PRODUCING SPOT ON THE SOUTH EAST PORTION OF A LAKE WHILE ICE FISHING? (YES/NO) If you've had more than one, please distinguish how many good spots.

I think this could be benefitial to everyone on this site, if it turns out to be true that south east portions of the lake don't produce as many fish, that would eliminate a lot of ground in the search for fish.

Depends on the lake. If all of the structure is on that end, well that is where the best fishing is. I used to live by a small lake that was mostly round, but on the SE section their was a narrows leading to a smaller bay. Had really good fishing there!
Infisherman has lots of great articles and tips, but they are not perfect, there can always be exceptions in fishing!

------------------
simul iustus et peccator

><}}}("< ---><!>

I can think of a couple spots where the south east shore has been the savior. I guess I never put too much thought into which end of the lake the fish are at. Past experiences lead me in my hard water quests for scales.

------------------
Plastics...making better fishermen without bait! Good Fishing Guys! CrappieTom
[email protected]

Lets see. Lakes I have had good ice fishing in the South or SE side:
West Lost
Clitherall
Crane
East Battle
German
...and those are lakes that pop into my mind without thinking about it.
Would I return to these lakes or others to fish the south shore. Absolutely.
Genz fishes a heck of a lot more than I do, so he must be right. smile.gif

C'mon peeps...we have 12,258 lakes that are over 10 acres in size here in the great state of minnesota.How many lakes do you think Genz has really had a chance to fish?Think at most-100...200 tops..i don't know bout you,i myself..think it's impossible to say that the s,se part of any lake is unproductive.i've had some of the best fishing doing just that.it's talk...plain and simple!
Now yah take the lakes that are smaller than 10 acres and apply that same principle and maybe? But based on my experiences i would have to say it's untrue.
I try and fish a different lake every month and sometimes thats even hard to do..and again maybe we could look at it this way...How many hours a week do you spend on lakes? lot's a questions...?

Although I don't agree with Genz's statement, to the degree that he is correct, could it be due to the fact that here in Minnesota many if not most lakes have their outlets toward the south and keeping in broad generalities, I would prefer to fish near incoming water than outgoing water. Just a thought. Ol Sneller

There is a danger in generalizations such as this. When a tremendously experienced angler says such a thing, it can keep a less experienced or easily influenced angler from exploring spots that could be phenominal.

I can name 10 lakes that I've fished through the ice that produce well in certain southeastern sections. I won't, because seven of them are small lakes.

Check the maps for fish-producing structures, ask around the bait shops, drill holes and don't pay too much attention to magazine articles that make such sweeping generalizations. Such generalizations may be true more often than not (that's what makes them generalizations), but that doesn't mean it's true on the lake you're fishing at the moment, and why rule out potential spots just because they're on the "wrong" side of the lake?

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

can it be luck? -

sunlight makes plants grow - plants make oxygen - fish need oxygen.

makes sense that may not be the best part of the lake then.

but my number 1 go to lake in the winter I fish the SE corner only.

I read the article too and believe that Gentz (sp.?) theorized that general wind patterns cause SE areas of lakes in general to accumulate colder water when they initially freeze. This colder water in turn discourages fish activity and thus, the "dead area" theory gets printed. There were several scientific counterpoints which refuted the theory.
I think if his theory holds any truth then it's only applicable to very early ice.
Anyone else read this article? Interesting thesis and one I thought about asking this forum as well. It just seems way too general to support any valid merit.

How about four tip ups and 57 lbs of northern pike in one day on the south east side of a lake about an hours north of the cities. Another trip to the same spot ice fishing yeilded a limit of 2-5 lb. bass most were caught in 5 feet of water. On anther day a 10 pound pike was caught and released in 5 feet of water ice fishing!

On Cedar Lake in Scott county most of the best panfish fishing comes off the south end.