• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Walleye guys I need your help!!

esox49

I am an avid musky fisherman and I need to expand my species of fish and am very green to walleye fishing! I need some help with the basics!!

Can you help me out with jigging, slip bobbering, and live bait rigging? I just need help with the basics since I will not do a lot of this. Just the basics: eg. which live baits, how deep, what size of jig heads, colors, etc. The lakes I fish have good cabbage weeds and coontail. I am not asking for any top secrets, just the basics for a beginner walleye fisherman to catch fish!! Thanks for the help!

Like Otter said! Sounds to me like someone was saying something about walleyes vs. ski's..................They don't fight as hard but they do taste better:) Give us the water bodies, time of year like Otter said and we will do our best to help you out!

Tunrevir~

Let's make this a little simpler. I target lakes up by Longville and Leech. I generally can fish them in June, July, August, and September. Hopefully this can help you guys out. Thanks!

Live bait rigs with crawlers and leeches during summer and minnows in the spring and fall. Trolling cranks and covering water along weedlines and the top edges of flats towards dark. #5&7 shad raps, husky jerk-baits. Jigs you'll want a variety of colors from a 1/16th oz-3/8th which should cover most depth ranges, same for weights for your live bait rigs but you may want a few into the 1/2oz range. If you have good cabbage beds then fish them with a jig and plastics, twister tails and shad style baits hopped through the cabbage are great. I pull out the slip bobbers when the fish are concentrated but aren't biting readily on live bait rigs or are on the edge of a piece of prime structure. I like fishing into the dark hours with the lighted bobbers and leeches. Hope this helps. You are fishing in a prime area for walleyes.

Tunrevir~

Pay attention to the wind as well. When the wind is crashing into a cabbage bed, rocky point, sandbar, etc there will oftern be walleyes feeding actively there. Kinda the same thing with those other toothy critters you like. wink

I moved recently to the Hugo area and would like to know what lakes are good for Walleye around here? I have hit Big Marine since it's 10 minutes from my home but we are finding many Pike and Bass but not any Walleyes... tips or tricks or what other lakes do you all suggest? Thanks much for any advise!