• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Support for those in school

I know Lisa is in school. I am as well. Are there any other dinosaurs who have taken the plunge to go back to school?

Being an older student is soooooo hard. I have fallen and had to peel my face off the sidewalk many times; yet I keep plugging away.

I have found that support from other older students is essential in the journey.

If anyone needs a pick-me-up, come here. Let's help each other get to the end!

Here's my goal....I'm aiming to go back to school to get my BA. I have an AA right now. but want to get BA so I can get a good job to be able to support my family better. Its so rough out there trying to find a job on a AA degree. Even rougher being a single mama of two young active boys!!! So pretty soon I will be part of this support group! :-)

Good for you Peachy! As hard as it may seem to go back with children at home, financially it's the best time to do it. There are a lot of programs out there to help single parents who desire to further their education.

What is/will be your course of study?

With an AA, you have the worst part knocked out. It's a downhill slide after that.

It's been quite a weird road, Karen and Peachy!! I feel like I'm not just an older student, I feel like I'm everyone's MOM!! So far I have been the oldest gal in my classes. It's kind of a bummer. In my personal life I don't feel old but as soon as I walk through those doors...boom!...mommy complex. One nice thing though, my instructors really think I'm great because I get my homework in on time and am really enthusiastic about going back to school!! Probably because I'm not going on scholarships and grants like the last time around (15 years ago!) and so since school was free, it didn't mean as much to me? I have to pay my own way now so it feels so much more important to get the grades and get through school as quickly as possible. I also feel I'm wayyyyy more mature this time around and I can truly focus on college! But I do feel like I've missed 15 years of awesome opportunities being "stuck" in my current job. frown

Lisa, it's not any of my business but why are you paying for a Nursing degree? I know two people who recieved an RN degree absolutely free as there is such a shortage of nurses.

Is this something you have checked into or not. I seriously doubt this was based on financial need as both of them come from well sustained households.

I am just finishing up with the prerequisite classes prior to acceptance in "actual" nursing school (which where I'm going, has delayed placement at this time so I'm not sure WHAT to do about that yet). I just got my CNA license this past week and will start working somewhere doing that (I'm not looking forward to this because clinicals were really tough)sometime this fall? So I've heard pretty much wherever I get a job, be it a long term care facility or a hospital, if I sign a contract with them for a set amount of years, they may pay for my schooling. That's all I know though. What did your friends do to get free nursing school? I'll take any pointers to not have to pay for 2 yrs of college!!! eekeek

I am not sure how they went about getting the full scholarship but I am going to make a few phone calls and find out for you. One of the gals worked at the post office, left there and went directly to school, the other was a stay at home mom.

I will find out for you the best I can. I don't believe either one of them were placed in a medical facility prior to receiving their degree.

I did payroll at a nursing home and yes, they did extend those scholarships with the intent of retaining that employee for a number of years. The program I am talking about, I believe is not the case.

Stay tuned.

I envy you girls, when I left my dead end job in 1989 I talked about going to school. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do so I dragged my feet. 20 years later I wish I had done something other than the easy route of getting into the arts n crafts business. Although I will start drawing SS in December and don't really need to work, there are so many things I would still like to learn. Maybe I should enroll in Walleye MN U?

Barb,

I wouldn't say getting into arts and crafts was the easy way out. I am a clay artist and it is what I love to do more than anything. It is constantly taking a back seat due to location, finances, etc. So in essence, I envy you!

Hey ladies - hang in there! I was fortunate to finish my 4 year degree right out of high school, I worked for about 4 years, then stayed home with my kids for a few years. While I was home I went back to grad school to get my Masters degree - I did that while pregnant with #3 - and graduated when he was just over a year old. I was also fortunate that my husband encouraged me and shared with all the stuff at home and with the kids. At any rate - being the "adult" student in classes certainly had challenges, but in the long run, I felt like I learned more and learned it better because I had some life and work experience as a base. I was able to get back to work, get a better salary and I actually retired at the end of this school year ( grin WHOO HOO!!!) with a decent package, my health and a cabin "up north". Life is good cool - getting here wasn't always easy, but getting that degree was a big piece. I know you're all smart ladies -- stick with it and you'll benefit in the long run -- this kind of support will be good. Good luck to you all!! smile

You're life is good Jackie! I'm hoping for the same with a positive job change. My husband is VERY encouraging too. I'm very fortunate to have such a great guy. Going back to school wouldn't be possible without the support I get! It also helps to hear such wonderful success stories so thank you!

PS. I love your photos in the photography forum-please keep sharing! grin

Way to go ladies!! Its great to hear people getting out there and doing something for themselves.

I'm also back in school right now 10 yrs after doing it the first time. I was smart enough to stop going when I wasn't interested, but unfortunately it took me 10 years to get back there for the same thing I wanted to do the first time. I just finished my first year. I"m going for Law Enforcement. I've got 8 classes left before I take the "skills" portion of the schooling and then I can be licensed. I hope to be a Conservation Officer or maybe a State Trooper when I'm done.

Fortunately, I've got a great wife. I supported her through her BA while raising our first kid and now she's helping me. She's never actually used her first degree which stinks (still paying back those private school loans cry)but now she knows she wants to be a nurse, so she will go to school as soon as I'm done.

Nice job Powerstroke.

Too bad we are not as insightful when we are young!

My brother-in-law is a cop and it has been very rewarding for both him and his wife. He currently works in Crookston but has accepted a sweet job offer on a Marine base in CA. He has not been in law enforcement for very long but has made things happen for himself.

Good luck to you and your wife in finding a rewarding career. It's never too late.

Lisa,

I can't make contact with one of the gals. I spoke to the other's mother today. Her daughter got her scholarship/grant through the county. She did not have to work in a facility while in school, but she did have to commit 2 years of work post degree. She is a nurse for the county making in-home visits.

Andy, I can't believe you're almost done!! Lucky you!

I just found out from my college that they're changing their nursing student placement from a GPA based (which has been a no problem for me!) to a waiting list!! That means I'm in trouble for getting into nursing school in a timely manner because there's ALOT more people ahead of me!! Maybe time for a new school??? I'm kinda anxious about this placement change!! eekeekeekeekfrown

Karen, thanks so much for your research. I've really got to crack down and look into scholarships too.

Good for all you folks going back to school. I admmire you all for that. Never went myself, played in a band on the road during the age most are in school. Ended up falling into computers and so far has been paying me quite well. I would really like to start up a guide service in a couple of years. I'm just not the school type, was never good at studying at all. I love history and some other things, but some of the stuff you have to learn is just not interesting to me and hard to study for.

Powerstroke, good for you for the law enforcement. That's one thing I would love to go to school for. Very admirable field and very rewarding. Good for you.

Lisa, I'm sure you will make a great nurse.

All those public service jobs are great and my hat goes off to you folks for getting up and changing careers into such rewarding fields.

Quote:
but it will most likely be another 2yrs and maybe more Figure about 5 semesters and one or two during the summer

I suppose 8 classes is more than almost done. Have you always wanted to get into Law Enforcement? I always thought that would be such a tough job! You have to be so firm, calm and level headed. Probably 3 things I don't excel at! smirksmile

You have to be so firm, calm and level headed. Probably 3 things I don't excel at! smirksmile

LOL laugh Lisa you are way too sweet and nurturing to be a LE Officer. You will make a great nurse.

I've always wanted to be a Conservation Officer. I planned to go to Vermillion CC in Ely after High School, but I didn't know anything about going to college and I was making great money so I didn't go. Now I'm 10 yrs older and I'm smarter, but I'm still thinking about doing the LE degree again. I can't go to Ely now that I've got a wife and two girls so I try to moderate my time between work, school, family, the fire department (yes I'm a on-call EMT/FF too)and my hobbies......There's not enough time in the day.

powerstroke, gotta hand it to ya going into that field. for what those people potentially have to deal with there isnt enough money in the world for me to go there. theres lotz of oddballs out there. maybe someday if i get a hook in me lisa could be my nurse? hehehe. so lisa when you are done is the deer river hospital your first choice of employers. its closer to winnie you know!

sorry to pop in late on this - but was on vacation for 10 days grin and summer break grin.

I'm back in school at the age of 46. Online through the Art Institite of Pittsburg. I'm study Web Site Development. Its only a diploma course. But once I get settled in and making money I'll work on my degree.

Just 3 more classes - I think I'll be done late Sept.

Good luck to all of you, smile study hard - crazy