• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What Line?

Just curious.... I know this has been brought up before.... but ive got some Spiderwire ?something and I got one tiny backlash and the line just snapped midcast!! Ive heard the line I was using was [PoorWordUsage], now I know. Whats a great line that DOESNT hold a ton of water?

Just kind of looking for a majority vote here?

Consensus here is not quite reached yet, but I'd say the cortland Masterbraid Bronzeback is becoming the #1 choice of more and more guys. I like the Sufix too, but the cortland is what I'll be changing more to when it's time to respool.

I think the selling point is what you're asking about, as it doesn't hold water.

Hope that helps!

I kinda like Power Pro. That said - I've found that more than once if you get a BAD backlash with any superline you can have the old snapola. I'd say that unless you know for sure there was a nick in the line, if it just breaks its time for new line. There's all sorts of new lines and I dig trying new stuff, but the old school Tuf-Line hasn't failed me.

Gotta run with CJAC on this one. I spooled a reel up with Materbraid Bronzeback this year and absolutely love the stuff. Was using TUF line up til this point, and while I like the line, the Bronzeback is just better. Seems to spool up and sit on the reel better. The big thing....it doesn't hold water the way that TUF Line does. Nothing else will be going on my reels when it comes time to change line!

Its been mentioned but if you backlash bad enough with any super braid you can break line. I use 65lb. powerpro and the other night I backlashed picked it out next cast my line broke. This line was new (less than 10 hours of use). Im not saying Powerpro is junk, I like it, it just happens.

Now you guys are going to make me go spend more $$ on Bronzeback!!! Oh well, at least I'll know why I end up divorced... smile Its a good think that the musky lures she sees in the tackle box were all on sale for about $5!

I have Power Pro on all my reels and I like it alot. Only had it snap on a cast once 2 years ago. When it is time to re-spool, I will be putting the Cortland on. It packs a little tighter and it holds its color a little longer. I have never heard a dad thing about it.

Fireline has a new braid out that is thermal fused like Ultra Cast. I believe it's a round diameter and it should be an interesting contender. I've only seen the 20LB but I would think that the 80 will be pretty supple.

I am just starting out and was recommended 80# spiderwire stealth. It has lasted many backlashes, but is turning light green.

Nobody else has mentioned it, is that bad?? smile I suppose I could respool, since its from summer (mid). I guess I maybe should respool so I don't loose my first fish on crappy line!

I use a coated version of Tuff line and love it. I also have the Bronzeback and have no complaints either. Both in 80lb I think.

I used to use powerpro, never again. It frays and breaks too easily, IME. Or maybe I just had bad luck?

-JR

I am just starting out and was recommended 80# spiderwire stealth. It has lasted many backlashes, but is turning light green.

Nobody else has mentioned it, is that bad?? smile I suppose I could respool, since its from summer (mid). I guess I maybe should respool so I don't loose my first fish on crappy line!

Hey Nater -

Don't worry about the fading - doesn't affect the line's strength in the least. I liked Stealth OK actually. My only complaint about it was it did seem to fray fairly quickly so I had to retie more frequently, but that's not a big deal - as long as you remember to do it.

Rob Kimm

I have been using TUF for 10 plus years "never" had a Major complaint with it. (It's user friendly and not many bad back lashes)

I have used many others, but I have never used Bronzeback.....why do some of you guys prefer this line over others?

Thanks in advance

Brian Kaiser

Been using Tufline XP 80# since last year late summer... and finally used Cortland Bronzeback 80# last nite... I love Tufline XP... but need to use Cortland more... but it seems to look good so far...

I used Stren Superbraid all last year, and really had no complaints. Never had an issue with broken line period. I'm trying out their new Invisibraid this year, and so far, so good.

I used Tufline for years, and my only complaint with it was that it absorbs alot of water. Tends to get your arms and legs wet with the dripping, especially if you sit down or lean against a butt seat.

Power pro was decent as well, but it did break on me a couple of times...especially with bad backlashes and heavy lures that went sailing.

I spooled up some Cortland Bronzeback and Tufline XP one on each reel and I liked the Cortland better. After 6 days straight of fishing with each of them I had less backlash and wasn't as wet with the Cortland. Both are great lines but Cortland gets my vote. One thing I do have to say is they both leave Power Pro in the dust. IMO that stuff is garbage.

Good Luck

Ryan

Wow..."Power Pro" is taking a "beating" on this board!

I can remember just a few years ago just about "Every Body"

was bragging this stuff up, like it was Better than sliced Bread!

I guess Steve Heiting will have to start advertising something else....lol...

Brian Kaiser