• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Swallowed hook removal...

brknrn

So, what is the best thing to do when a bass swallows a senko type bait and he is hooked in the throat?

I always use the method where you turn the hook upside down and watch it pop right out but I have heard alot of people saying that they just cut the line.

What is best for fish survival?

Edit - The method I am describing above is being referred to below as "The Gill Method"

Honestly have heard from a reliable resource that if you see a fish bleed, chances are that it wont make it, just because of how little blood they accually have. I have always just cut the line if it is a deep one.

take needle nose put it through the gills and push whatever way will get the hook out. Im pretty good at this technique. I wont do it if it will cause too much damage. maybe Ill take a picture of this next time Im out on the water.

I also use the through the gill method. As long as your carefull this technique works really well. Even so, I'll give it a couple tries and if I can't get it fairly quickly, I'll cut the line. The theory being; It doesn't do the patient any good to remove the bullet if there suffocating to death.

Depending on the specific way the hook is sitting I also will use the through the gill method. If it seems as though that will further injure the fish rather than cutting the line I recently started cutting the hook as close as I can to the flesh. I picked up a heavy duty yet slim profile hook cutter that works fine on all my attempts so far. To me it makes more sense to get as much out as possible if you must leave anything in at all for the fish to have a chance. Maybe that isn't true but to me it holds validity. I want the senkos you are using if they are loving them that much!

Here you go guys, this is the "gill method". This is also the method I use. Be careful running your needlenose up through the gill area. Once you get the hook turned to where the eye is through the gill area and pointing towards the tail end of the fish, the hook comes out very easy.

Hook Removal

I kinda do the gill method but I cut the line and leave about 2 feet of tag. Feed the tag through the gill. Pull line to reverse hook and pull it out. It helps to have another person pulling on the tag line so it stays reversed. It just like the gill method but with line.