• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I hate muskies

I was out fishing Lake Alexander today, as far as follows go it was a great day. I had 10 follows, 5 of the fish I was able to get to come back to the boat. I saw three fish take a swipe at a suick and miss mad, another fish hit a hellhound, but bit the back of the bait. It was cool to watch, I saw him do the head shake, basically going nuts on the bait, but when I set the hook, nothing, no hooks in the mouth. Then one fish was taunting me crazy I reeled in my bait and did a figure eight and no fish so I cast back out. Just as I start reeling in I see a fish coming to the boat, but the bait is a good 30 yards behind him. The fish comes within about 4 ft of the boat and stops and just looks at me. I keep reeling in my bait and he did nothing but stare at me. I bring the bait right by him.....nothing. I think I'm going crazy, but I swear he was telling me....not today buddy grin So I decided to figure 8 infront of him and he turns away. Then to add insult to injury, the last fish of the day was easy 48 inches, I have a tape on the side of the boat and he swam by it. It followed a suick in to the boat, I took the bait deep and fast on the figure 8 and the fish took a swipe at it and missed mad, so I kept doing an 8 and the fish came up and just watched then swam away. I really thought I was going to get one today, I had my chances but just couldn't close the deal. Oh well, the batteries are charging right now and I can't wait to get back out.

Better than most our days so far this year, lots of follows few biters. I bet we have had 75 follows only 4 fish boated. We have lost our share to, 4 myself already this year.36 and a 28 to my tally so far.

I don't mean to come across like it wasn't a good day, it was, but man I had so many chances to get a fish and just couldn't do it. Thanks MUSKY18 for letting me know what depths to be fishing, all the fish came with the boat in 15 ft of water.

MN:

Sounds like our night/day were pretty much the same thing! I had one fish follow a bobbie bait to the boat, so about 10 feet out, I stop and let the bait slowly rise to the surface. The fish actually swam up and bumped the bait with its nose, not only once, but twice. Jerked the bait to the boat and started an eight, fish follows around twice then swims off like nothing ever happened.

I think we found the same fish, as I had one follow a bucktail up just as my cast hit the water 30 yards away. Don't know if I have ever cranked a bait that fast to get it back to the fish. Buzzed it right past its nose and it didn't flinch! Tossed the bait back out and it almost hit the darn fish, still didn't move, just sat there! Must have sat there for two minutes before it sank out of site. I think all of Alexander heard me yelling "EAT IT!!!!!!!!!!"

Managed to raise two other fish while out. Not bad for 3 hours of fishing. Still haven't put one in the boat yet this year, but I always come on strong after the 4th....then LOOK OUT!!!!

My last three trips I've have three high 40s/low 50s fish get off at the side of the boat. I'm so frustrated I started fishing for Catfish and Walleye. Nothing makes me feel more like a loser than throwing some tiny thing out there and trolling at like 0.8 MPH. Except for maybe throwing bait out there and doing absolutely nothing.

I need a change of scenery...has Leech turned on yet?

Quote:
Nothing makes me feel more like a loser than throwing some tiny thing out there and trolling at like 0.8 MPH

Hahahaha thats funny.

Afew people are starting to boat some fish but certainy not hot and heavy. Al Mass put 2 nice fish, one over 50 and one just under in his boat 2 days ago then he didn't have any luck yesterday, I think they saw a few fish though. Leech is tough to fish right now, you have to find the weeds. Portage would be worth a try or Kabekona Bay. A couple spots on the south end of the big lake might not be to bad either. The water temp on the big lake should hit the magic 70 in a few days! Me, I am going to wait till they want to get up on the rocks.

MNMUSKIES, what time were you out there? We were there in the morning and it was slow, one lazy follow and another just swimming along. To top it off, I had a rod break while casting a bulldawg. SNAP!! It flew out of my hands and sank to the bottom in 10 fow. Good thing it was calm, we were able to snag it after about ten minutes. The rod was shattered and broke into three pieces, looked like I drove over it with the truck, then backed up and did it again. shocked

shamalex72,

Sorry to hear about the rod, look on the bright side now you get to get a new rod. Good to hear you got your bait back

I was on the lake from about 5:30am to 5:30pm. All of my follows came on jerkbaits, except for the one hit on the hellhound. I threw DCG, bulldawgs, raddoggs, suzy sucker, curly sues, basically everything I had. When I would have a follow I would throw back to them with somthing different and they wouldn't come back, but throw a jerkbait and here they come.

Hey Keith,

Our trip was alot of fun. We caught a ton of nice Lakers and the Smallies were everywhere. The Muskies weren't too shy but they didn't want to eat. We saw around 15 not counting the ones that we could get to chase a second or third time. I have been home 2 days and I already want to go back! I posted some pics in the Canada Forum, take a look.

Did you and Hunter get up to the Trap last weekend? If so, how did you guys do?

Hey John, this is Hunter. We had a few lazy follows every time we went out, and saw a few just sitting in 5 fow. Felt good to get back out there though! We were on Bald Eagle this weekend and we sure missed the water clarity! We'll be out there this weekend so hopefully we can get into a few.