• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lindy Rig Leader Material

Wookiee

ive been using seagar 6# copolymer. the bite offs have increased over 6/2 fireline, but i think its more stealthy and incourages more bites. if i get a chance and remember, ill pick up some 8# and see if that helps. however, my thinking is if a muskie, northern or walleye gets it just the wrong way, a bite off will occure no matter what kind of line youre using.

regards,

minnesotatuff

I like copoly lines and am phasing out mono on my reels and replacing it with copoly.

But for leader material I'm not sure I see an advantage over mono or flouro. The flouro coating on the copoly could be an advantage over mono, but I'm not sure I see the advantage over straight flouro? I don't think there'd be anything wrong with using copoly for a leader, but I don't think there'd be any advantages.

I like mono for leaders. Either 6 or 8 lb XL depending on water clarity.

Tried flourocarbon for leaders but it sinks and my bait ends up on the bottom. If I want my bait on the bottom I use a jig.

Flourocarbon line is better at catching fisherman than fish. P-line flouroclear is petty decent stuff if you have a mental hangup and think you need some sort of flourocarbon coating.

I have problems with the knots, strength, and stiffness of Vanish. The copoly is easier to tie and I am not sure it makes that big of a difference unless I am on a super clear lake(hardly ever) that I need to be using the real expensive stuff hard to tie and it has been fragile for me as of late. I am probably going to try P-line CFX and soft fluoro, (to compare fluoros), floroclear, premium Cx and Gamma Copoly to do a study.

I use a lot of #6 Silver Thread copolymer. I've been using this stuff for years and it's been very good line for me for leaders and main lines. It is tough to find around here but is a favorite with the saltwater crowd. If you do a few internet searches you'll find it.

transition is the only leader that works I know its abold statement but I have been sold on that product.

Can you please expand on this statment, I'm not saying your wrong, but why do you think this is true? It seems that Transition lines are meant to be seen above the water and become clear below, but you do not need to ever see your lindy rig leader while fishing with it.

I'm not sure exactly what their reasons are, but for me the transition is what I use for ALL of my leaders, not just lindy rigs.

It's limited stretch paired with it's execptional hooksetting ability has no match, IMHO. With lindy rigs, I like that it keeps my baits closer to the bottom. Same as jig fishing, and I can catch fish with those. With which I also use a transition leader. 12# transition leader paired with 10# fireline are my go-to walleye lines.

I have had only one problem with knots using the transition, and that was because of the way I tied it. Otherwise I have never had a knot failure.

I guess I just like the stuff. It has performed well for me and I use it exclusively.