• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Do you eat rock bass?

MurkyWaters

We eat them all the time. We catch crappies, sunnies and rock bass together sometimes on our home lake, and mixing them all together in a fish fry, almost no one can tell the difference, even people who have said they don't like rock bass.

With their monster ribcages it takes a bigger RB than crappie or sunny to get a decent chunk of meat, usually a 10-incher or more for us.

I agree, I eat them all the time. Taste just like sunnies to me. About the warm water theory, I've had bad tasting sunnies that came out of real warm water too and just as wormy. I remember years ago people used to think perch were junk fish. Not any more. Keep throwin those rock bass back...leaves bigger ones to me. In my experience you get more meat out of a rock bass than a sunnie of the same length. If your going to eat white/yellow bass...just cut out the red stripe on the skin side of the fillet and you will notice they taste much better.

The few rock bass (a.k.a. 'pike chow') I tried to clean (back when I was an impressionable youth) were chock full of worms. But with those gigantic bony rib cages they did make for good fillet knife practice.

If I were going to try making a meal out of a bunch of them I think I would stick to the back meat and not bother going south of the ribs.

I have consumed a few of these in my youth and to my knowledge they were kinda oily. i would mix them together with sunfish in the fry pan. if ya bite into a bad one hurry and bite in to another one to get the taste out kinda like warm beer finish it quick and grab a cold one