• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sound of Ice cracking

andylee

Has anyone noticed a change in the fish bite when the ice is cracking alot? The last couple of days while out on the lake, during the daylight hours while the sun is bright, the ice was cracking alot making that familliar thunderous sound. I had the lake almost to myself and usually do pretty good during the day, but, when the ice is cracking like this the fish seem to shut down. When the sun went down, the ice stopped cracking, but still no real bite for several hours. Did'nt see many on the flasher during the day time, and moved around alot to look through the ice with the flasher, and could'nt find many fish anywhere. but when the ice stopped cracking, I was picking more up on the flasher all over the lake.
Just thought I would throw this out and see if any one else has had similar experiences.
Good fishin
Andy

We used to overnight alot on Lake of the Woods many years ago. You'd swear the house was going down with all the noise. But it didn't seem to keep the fish from bitting.

[This message has been edited by IFallsRon (edited 01-09-2004).]

Ice noises will not spook the fish. Its a natural noise to them. Kinda like the woods noises to deer.

The main reason the fish have shut down during this cold snap is the huge low pressure system that brought us the cold weather. Of course now we've moved back to high pressure for a little bit, but all the fast moving fronts keep the fish on edge. If we get some stable weather, the fishing will pick up again.