• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What's your favorite tip-up

anchor man

I love the good old fashion wood boards. I've never had a problem with them and pulled in plenty of jakes on these. One of the ones that I have was one my Dad gave to me that he used for years and years. Still spins like it's brand new. Can't beat them!

I agree with Ebass. I like the Frabills so much that I personally own 4 of them and I live in MN where you can only fish two lines at a time!(Put them on a couple Christmas lists and everybody came through! Oh well, enough for my fishing buddies) Anything that catches fish in -20 deg. temps outside impresses me. They work no matter how cold they are. Fit nicely in a 5 gallon bucket- Tip-I always bring two along, one to cover the minnows in a 5 gal and one to cover the fish in a 5 gal. I would highly recommend the igloo. I have 4 different styles and they are definetly my favorite.
FLAG!!!
Bushwacker

Another vote for the Frabil Themo tip up! Its especially nice when the weather is REALLY cold or windy and the holes tend to get blown in with snow, or just freeze up. Also very compact and stores perfect in a 5 gal. bucket.

Orange Frabill Thermal Tip Up!!

I like them cause they keep your holes clean, they store easily in a 5 gallon bucket. What else? Its just a well thought out tip-up. Frabill did a nice job with it.

Hey,
I'm a tip-up virgin. Dohh!!! Did I just say that? What brand/type of tip up do you like for all-round use? I do most of my fishing out of 8" holes if that matters and will target mostly pike and/or walleye. Any plusses or minuses to the various types? Are there speciality tip-ups that work best for certain applications or species. Thanks.
gspman

With out a doubt the Frabill Thermo Tip-up. It's a little over 10" round and stores nice and neat. I've caught more walleyes on my tip up so far this year than my jigging rod or bobber rod. (granted I haven't been out much though 6 times) This tip-up has been on sale for I believe 14.99 @ Gander. Normally it's 19.99. Any ways, I have two of the same. 1 fer pike and 1 fer eyes.

I like the plastic polar tip ups, and Beaver Dam tip ups. I think Beaver Dam tip ups are some of the nicer ones out there, but they cost too much for me to justify the cost of switching all my tip ups over to them. The plastic Polars work just as well and are about 1/2 the price.
A friend uses those round Frabil tip ups. He likes them, but I've never been too excited about them.

curleytail

A couple of years ago I ran across a new type of tip-up. Called Artic Warrior, it consists of a frame that you can set your own rod in. Works the same as other ones as it flags when a fish hits. Difference is you can just pick up your rod and set the hook, and then fight the fish. Caught some nice northerns last week on them. I have a light rig on one and a trout rod with Ambassador reel on the other. Both use quick strike rigs I made. Never use my other ones anymore.

I prefer the Beaver Dam wood kind and the HT Polar's. Both trip easily and do not freeze up. The Beaver Dam is a great tip up, expensive, but worth it! I had lots of trouble with the Frabill Thermal tip-ups, too many spools froze on them. I went back to the old reliables.

I work at a tackle store, the Beaver Dam's are the most requested, then the HT Polars.

Anyway you go, I recommend the vinyl coated tip-up line. It doesn't hold water and is does not tangle easily.

I'd have to vote for the good ol' wood style. I have a Frabill Classic and a Frabilll Thermal and like the wooden Classic much better. Used them both on Saturday (the thermal for the first time) and wasnt impressed with the thermal style other than the fact that they fit in a bucket nice. Hole froze up just as fast as the classic and had ice buildup on the spool itself on the Thermal

[This message has been edited by Farley (edited 01-12-2004).]

Do the thermal circular tipups by Frabill work on smaller holes? I usually use a 7" Lazer Auger, or would it be pointless?

I would advise everyone not to bother getting one of the tripod models by HT, I had one freeze in this year, and as I was chipping ice out to get a fish the thing broke.

I was dumb for buying it in the first place, they seem like they couldn't handle any decent pike.

I usually use the cheaper style tip-ups, and have no problems, but just make sure you have a spud on those extremely cold days, or you'll miss fish.

Frabill Thermo Tip-up. Thats my main tip-up that I use. I added reflective tape to it to see it at night and so nobody runs into it. Then I also added a strike sensor, which is sweet.

------------------
AKA PikeEye 300

I use beaver dams and used to use carpet under them on cold days. I had some trouble with waleyes when they were biting lght on the thermal style because they make noise when you pick them up off the ice. I found some new thermal covers that I am trying out. It is called a freezebee and it has some insulation foam in it with a slit to slide the tip up in and a big handle to remove them when you get a flag. The verdict is still out on them, but they keep the hole from freezing and I kneel on them when bringing in a fish. It does make the light biters less weary and I can just keep the same old wood ones around.