• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hair Rig Questions

ChemE

I've been experimenting with this rigging technique lately. I am still not convinced that I understand how to effectively create a stop on the end of the hair. I've checked out many knot tying sites as well as youtube videos that attempt to show the knot but they really don't succeed in explaining or demonstrating how to construct the stop. Most sites claim you need to tie a small loop in the end of the hair. Is this a permanent loop that you can then thread a chunk of the hair through to make a cinch around a stopper? Or, is that loop some sort of slip knot that can be loosened to remove the stopper when fresh bait needs to be threaded onto the hair? Or is it used in some other way entirely? I've had the most success by tying the rig with a loop of line as the hair and then girth hitching a stopper to it. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Hello. It is kind of hard to explain so here is a link with descriptions and pictures which should help you.

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

This is the same hair rig I use for Carp fishing, works great. If you have any more questions just ask.

I did a little more investigating of hair rig photos. It looks like I was making my life more complicated than it should have been. It appears that once the bait is threaded onto the hair and a stopper device is placed into the loop at the end of the hair, the bait is then pushed back down the hair, over the knot, and against the stop. This is making sense now.

For anyone that uses a hair rig, do you experience much premature destruction of the bait because it has slide over the larger knot of the hair loop?

For anyone that uses a hair rig, do you experience much premature destruction of the bait because it has slide over the larger knot of the hair loop?

It depends on the bait you are using. Corn can get a bit damaged from the knot but not too bad. I mainly use Corn with hair rigs, but also use boilies which work well.

I'm not sure if you've read up on this already but you will also need to buy a bait needle. This will be needed to thread you're bait on to the hair rig.

Thanks for the tip. I've been using the wire from a twist tie as my threader but I think I'll cash my stimulus check and spend the 2 bucks to get a bait needle.