• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

07 Yami 150 stalling?

Matt C

The oddest thing happened today. I am meticulous with up keep so I am at a loss on what the issue is...

Its an 07 Yami 150 4 stroke. While scooting across the lake today at WOT, she stalled. It didn't die, but it was a total power loss. Just went in to idle. I pulled back and stopped, no weeds or anything. Went back on my way with no issues.

On my way back to the landing a few hours later, not at WOT, but up on plane and maybe 4000 RPMS, same thing.

Waters spouting, oils good, gas is good. Plugs good.

Anyone have any suggestions? I hate to take in in for warranty work and be without my boat for a week frown

Could be vapor lock. That has happened to me a couple of times. As limitout said grab the primer lift it as high as it will go and pump it up. I had the same thing happen last year but it was about 95 degrees outside.

I have had this happen with my 115 yamaha 4 stroke and its usually after I fill the tank. I dont know if its water in the gas or what. Happened last night and once I got it started and let it run a minute I took off and it was fine. I also noticed that its usually right after I have had the motor tilted up out of the water while trolling with the bow mount and then drop the big motor and run right away. Has only happened like 4 times in 4 years though.

I have had the same problem with my '03 75hp Yamaha. Now this past week I had a slightly different problem. Motor was running great and I went to take off and the motor starts shaking and there is no power. Backed down tried again same thing. Called the service department in Brainerd and they said water in gas or fouled plugs. Just had filled up with preminum gas. Idled to the access went home changed plugs, dumped sea foam and isopropo. in the tank. Checked fuel filter(Good) Ran the motor with muffs. Next day, motor runs fine for 5 hours. Head back to the landing and same thing. Keep tring to get on plane and motor shakes and runs with no power. Finally motor takes off. Get off the lake. Haven't been out again so I don't know if I'll have any more issurs. Will try tomorrow after work. Any help or suggestions qwould greatly be appreciated. Dealer said I would have to drain the gas tank. I don't believe there is water in the gas.

Know a guy who had the same brand motor and it quit on opening weeked a few years back with fresh gas in it. Brought it to a shop up north and the guy said Yamaha's don't like even a hint of bad gas. Drained the fuel and put another full tank of fresh fuel in it with seafoam and was fine. Dealer said the same thing bad gas. Never heard of any other brand having that problem but who knows. Would think about a seperator or 2 if I had a Yamaha.

I had just filled the tank before I ran it, combo that with a hot day, no wind.

I added sea foam to the tank tonight, primed the bulb...which was already pretty stiff.

Ran like a champ!

Thanks guys for the help!

Do you guys ever add Yamaha "Ring Free" to your tank? I know people swear by it but I haven't put any in mine yet. I believe it's somewhat similar to Sea Foam.

The Yamaha Ring free is also good stuff. Really cleans the motor out. The 1st time I ran it through my motor it ran a bit ruff that day but after that when I use it my motor runs fine. I might use it once a year if that.

I have an Opti not a Yam 4-stroke, and I use a product from Merc called Quickleen. I think it's similar to Yamaha's Ring Free.

I use either Quickleen or Sea Foam almost every time I put gas in the boat ---- if I know the gas will be in there for a while I go with Sea Foam for the stabilizer, if I'm going to be going through the gas quickly I use the Quickleen. DFI motors like the Opti can be sensitive to carbon fouling, that's why I use these with almost every tank.

Not sure that's going to help with your current problem, but I think it's a good idea for the long-term health of your motor.