• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
fishhunter88

swedish pimple

has anyone ever used a swedish pimple before have you ever caught fish with it? I got a swedish pimple lure from my great grandma with a bunch of other tackle that had been my great grandpa's I was wonder what fish they work on? just some input and opinions

What size are they?
I got some small ones that work real good for crappies and panfish.

------------------
AKA PikeEye 300

I always use Swedish Pimples. Tipped with a minnow head, they work really well. I think every ice angler has at least one.

I like the swede zits myself wink.gif, they have great action. Just rig up and jig like any other jig, they flutter really nicely. Tipped with a minnow head is my favorite, work well on the eyes and jumbo perch. Since they are heavier lures, use a stout jigging rod.

I have a bunch of tackle from my late Grandpa. Some of it was his dad's. For me at least, it's more interesting looking at what they fished with than sticking it down a hole for some Jack to take. Some of that old tackle is worth some $$, but you can learn a lot about a fisherman from his gear, even if he's been long since gone...

I like using Swedish Pimples and other jigging spoon type lures. The technique I use most is to periodically give the lure a 1 foot jump, then let it settle and then briefly "quiver" the lure. The jump attracts attention from a distance, the quiver often is what triggers the bite. During the quiver, the lure doesn't move much but the bait on the hook dances a bit--whether it be a minnow head, waxies, or even a maggot or two. Some fish strike with authority, but many seem to swim up and just close their mouth around it. I like to use a spring bobber, and some of the crappies I catch don't even twitch it, the first indication I have that they are on is when I go to make the next jump or quiver, and I then can detect they are there.

Hope this helps.

I've used the larger ones jigging with almost any type of minnow. Half of the trebles are mangled up now from northerns hitting 'em.

I caught an eight pound burbot on a swedish pimple on Mille Lacs ... Swedish Pimples are about as effective as a buckshot spoon. A great lure - it gets down to the fish quickly and attracts them to strike! Always tip them with something. The best thing to tip them with is a strip of squid.

Swedish pimples are great lures!

One of the first times I used one I caught a 3lb largemouth through the ice grin.gif

Definately tip them with something.

IceC

------------------
Have an Ice day :)

Yup! I fish with a swedish pimple 99% of the time and one set line. It's a great lure tipped with a minnow head. It's great for the eye's, perch and yes the "big" northerns take one here and there. If nothing else the fluttering action is sure to bring the fish into the area. I like to jig it with quick vertical jerks of about 6" to 18" and then let it sit. Continue the jerks every 10-15 seconds, occasionally I'll lift the lure up 2-3 feet and then let it flutter down. Some people will fish them with a bobber attached, as mentioned earlier the fish may not take it down but you may notice the bobber move up (float more) indicating a fish has picked it up. Give me one lure to live on? The swedish pimple!! smile.gifsmile.gif

The pimple is my main winter lure.

My grandpa's tacklebox mostly contained big-hooked Prescott spinners, huge bell sinkers and purple Lazy Ikes.

Do you guys tie them right to the line or do you use a split ring? I got in a duscussion about this in the fish house last weekend. I normally tie all my jigs\lures right to the line but a buddy told me "you have to use a split ring".

I almost always tie to a split ring. Unless there is not one already on and I'm feeling lazy. Great lures for almost any species. Can be found anywhere too.

A ZEN MASTER

I use a split ring, but if it's missing and I'm too lazy to put one on, I'll tie it directly with a King Sling knot which basically acts like a split ring. As a matter of fact, (and I hope you don't mind me going off subject briefly) I use a King Sling knot on all my lures. I feel it adds a bit more action.