• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Well I Did It

TMF89

Finally got out last night for some flathead fishing on the Minnesota. First I went up to Moore's for some bullheads, then found out he didn't have any, lol. He's a great guy though, and gave me a little advice on fishing. Then we went back to Gander and got suckers for bait, then headed out to the river around 8. Well we fished about 4 or 5 different spots, in front of the creeks, and one upstream of a fallen tree with a nice hole upstream of it. Nada. We got two hits on cutbait in the morning (4-5), but nothing on the live, and nothing beyond a few taps at the cut.

When we motored up to the creeks, we'd usually anchor upstream of the hole, and cast in front of the creek, or out into the current and let it swing it down into the mouth of the creek. We were using 4-8oz, generally around 6. It held in all but the strongest current, mainly when a boat went by, and then it would just take a few inches out. We hooked the suckers through the lips.

Well guys, any advice? I gave all the information that I can remember, anything else you guys want to know? Did I do the right thing, and just get a bum night? Should I have positioned the boat differently? Fish the Mississippi instead of the Minnesota? Fish a different part of the Minnesota? We worked from Savage down to Cedar, so we went a ways. I've heard Chaska is pretty good during high water? Thanks for the advice guys, and hopefully I can get em next time, we might head out on Thursday night again.

You were fishing one of the most difficult sections to fish when the water is at this level. There are fish... but they are difficult to catch.

I would recommend that you move to a little skinnier water till you get the swing of it and or the water levels drop.

Hang in there. It takes some time to put fish in the boat. Keep working it and it will come. Your seeing an anomaly right now with a few people putting some nice fish in the boat.... Trust me, I fished with the majority and we have all logged lots and lots of time with out catching fish.

Just my 2 cents.

I think you did it right. Add it up to paying your dues and expect at least a couple more trips like this before a fish is caught grin. I pretty much spent last season doing the same and getting the same results.

Nobody ever said this "catfish" thing is easy, well a couple said that, but I have not seen them post images of medium to monster sized catfish as of yet. grin

I truly think cat fishing is one of the toughest fishing there is out their. At least for trophy size. Anyone can go to Rainy, Pool 2 or the MN and get a monster walleye. Heck, I have seen monster walleyes caught during one of catt'in trips. We tossed it back as quick as we would a 5lb cat wink.

I have been fishing for flats since about 95’ or 96’and I have barely broke the 30lb class mark. Follow what these guys say and do, you will get on them. I think we are going to start seeing a lull in the next week or two with the current action that is going on, but then the shore guru’s will start to do well.

Plus a little Voodoo and chanting never hurts grin. At least this will make the mind think positive and translated into more fish. Lick the next cat you get and put an image on FM. That seems to help.

Cat fishing does ROCK though rawk.gif

Well it should, considering I'm Tyler! We went upriver from you guys a fair ways, and tried a few spots with no hits. Did you guys get anything else besides that run? How late were you out?

Man it was a bad night for us let me tell you. First had one on that pulled me into a tree ( had to snap my line )then we went farther up to the barging company. Stayed there for about 15 minute then a barge came so we had to move. Then we almost ran out of gas the spare gas can nozzle broke spilling gas every where. Got the anchor stuck on something in the fast moving current which almost pulled the boat end down into the water. Oh then the battery die and we had no lights. So nothing on are end. When are you guys going back out.

Ouch, that sucks. We almost ran out of gas, but other than that the night went fine. We might be heading out again tomorrow night, but that's a maybe. I'd like to grab some bullheads this time, and see if that helps.

I used to do alot of catfishing prior to my move up north. I am now back in the cities and plan on going after some cats again. Sounds like you fished them the way i used to. I pretty much use an extra heavy duty lindy rig. I make them out of leader material. I put a large 4 - 8 oz egg sinker above the leader and then about three feet down the leader i crimp on a very large thick shanked hook . Sorry can't remember the exact size. We used to buy suckers exclusively. Run the hook in through the suckers mouth and out one of the nostrils. This keeps them very lively. Big cats (from my experience) prefer live bait over dead bait. Cahnnels are more into the stinky dead bait. I am talking suckers from 12 - 14"s long. People would go by and think they were fish that we just caught as we were preparing to cast it back out. Funny. Anyways, i had always had my best luck for big cats and numbers of them in the dead middle of the day. Seems like they school up in the deep holes mid day and tend to roam the flats at night. So during the day they are more concentrated in these deep holes. We had quite a few days on a particular spot where we would boat 8 - 12 cats between 24 and 40+ pounds. I have never fished the minnesota for cats so i am not sure how deep of holes you can find in there but where i fished on the mississippi we would fish from 25 to 40 feet of water. This is what worked for me. Just thought i would share it with you. I hope to get out soon and do it all over again. Will let you know how i do. It has been awhile. My spot may not even exist anymore. The river changes constantly. We'll see. Good luck on your next outing. If i get a chance i will post some pics of the cats that we used to catch. We pulled 3, 40 pound or better out of our honey hole in 2 days of fishing. So if you find that magic spot it can be awesome. Good Fun.

"Anyone can go to Rainy, Pool 2 or the MN and get a monster walleye. Heck, I have seen monster walleyes caught during one of catt'in trips. We tossed it back as quick as we would a 5lb cat." - this was previously posted by shackbash and idont know how to do the quote thing, but anyway id watch the walleye thing there are many die hard walleye anglers that have fished those waters adn not landed a 30 inch walleye, I was lucky enough to get a 31 on Mille Lacs last year but I know many people that have fished walleys their whole life and not boated a 10 lb walleye in my eyes its easier to get a 40 lb cat than a 10 lb walleye

Based on my experience fishing, working, and listening to guys/reading this forums, I gotta agree with RattleL. And HKK, I don't work for about 2 weeks actually, I have two back-to-back Canada trips lined up.

"Anyone can go to Rainy, Pool 2 or the MN and get a monster walleye. Heck, I have seen monster walleyes caught during one of catt'in trips. We tossed it back as quick as we would a 5lb cat." - this was previously posted by shackbash and idont know how to do the quote thing, but anyway id watch the walleye thing there are many die hard walleye anglers that have fished those waters adn not landed a 30 inch walleye, I was lucky enough to get a 31 on Mille Lacs last year but I know many people that have fished walleys their whole life and not boated a 10 lb walleye in my eyes its easier to get a 40 lb cat than a 10 lb walleye

rattle, I hate to throw a die hard walleye guy under the bus and I did not mean this, well in a ways I did grin.

Some of the guys in this forum have some of the biggest walleyes I have seen on this site. One outing last year made the front page of Fishing Minnesota. What was papa g's eye, 12 or 14lb's. Everyone one in that article caught wall mounter eyes and everyone in that article is a die hard cat guy (caught and released I might add). Plus, Hanson had a couple threads about pesky monster walleyes get stuck on his lines and others while out fishing last season.

I witnessed an almost 31” caught while fishing for cats and it really was a no thrill type thing when it was caught, cause we thought we had a flat on. (Do a site search about "Catch Of A Life Time" from last summer. Images and story are their).

I am not going in the walleye forum and saying this. Also I would not say this with out proof to back it up grin

I find it funny though, you come in the cat forum and tell me this:

Quote:
but anyway id watch the walleye thing there are many die hard walleye anglers that have fished those waters adn not landed a 30 inch walleye,

and then follow it up by saying this in the Cat Forum:

Quote:
in my eyes its easier to get a 40 lb cat than a 10 lb walleye

I would watch what you say in the cat forum winkgrin.

But!! Unlike most other species of fish anglers, we here in the Cat Forum are fun and friendly bunch of dudes (and gal). We help out others to the best as we can, so they get out and get a fish or more fish. That is why you do not get locked threads in here, that is why a message from admin is a once and blue moon thing, that is why we have more posts and threads than the walleye forum grin

I would trade a 12lb walleye for a 40lb plus cat any day of the week.

Dtro and other's may make this "cat thing" look easy, but it is not. Go out and fish for flats and bring back the story of that easy 40lber grin. If you do get one, you will be hooked and look at this game we play in a whole new light.

Good luck!

To add to that this year I have 5 or 6 eyes above 10 lbs this year, biggest was 13 something.

Cats over 40, none in the last 10 years! Several in the 30 range.

I agree that the larger flats are much tougher than those big pig eyes it seems to me. I had some great eye action last fall right along with many others.

Its one thing to get a 9# walleye and another to get one over 10#. Those 40# cats and 11# eyes are a real trophy if one can find them.

yea i saw the pig eyes on the river this last fall by pgrump DTRO and HarveryLee im not starting a confrontation or anything ijust think it is harder to get a big eye than a big cat, these guys that cuaght the MN river eyes no that river like the back of their hand..... i mean they fish it sometime 6 days a week but that is cool i love the river adn wish i could get out more, but between 2 jobs and college it is kinda hard, but on another note WanderingEyes i assume u got those eyes on the river,

yea i saw the pig eyes on the river this last fall by pgrump DTRO and HarveryLee im not starting a confrontation or anything ijust think it is harder to get a big eye than a big cat, these guys that cuaght the MN river eyes no that river like the back of their hand..... i mean they fish it sometime 6 days a week but that is cool i love the river adn wish i could get out more, but between 2 jobs and college it is kinda hard, but on another note WanderingEyes i assume u got those eyes on the river,

10lb eye = 40lb Cat. on the MN.

they are both few and far between.... The one correlation....

Big fish of a feather (cats and Eyes) flock together...

Not an easy feat for either...

put the excuses away.... and fish when you can... We're all busy. wink

Oh man I have tried my hardest this year and can't get a single cat that is worth a darn. Now on the other hand I have slayed the eyes every well and the eye fight for a minute or two and my few cats that have push 40+ have fought some over and hour before I could get them in not green. I'm with you shack on this one. Oh and I get out once a week now a days and don't know the river like the back of my hand, but to all's their own.

I have slayed the eyes every well and the eye fight for a minute or two and my few cats that have push 40+ have fought some over and hour before I could get them in not green.

Dude, if your taking an hour+ to land a 40lb'er you need to upgrade the equipment. smile

yea i will be fishing pool 4 this weekend, so hopefully a big one will bite the line, hey LFC i do work an 8 hour day and then train athletes and work out myself somedays for up to 3 more hours so i am busy, but i spose football pays for school so i can not complain, good luck this weekend with the kitties guys i can hardly wait to hit the water

rattleL,

Just rattling you walleye cage grin dude!

Stay in school, get a good paying job, buy a nice boat and live the American dream.

Good luck on Pool 4 this weekend.

yea i will be fishing pool 4 this weekend, so hopefully a big one will bite the line, hey LFC i do work an 8 hour day and then train athletes and work out myself somedays for up to 3 more hours so i am busy, but i spose football pays for school so i can not complain, good luck this weekend with the kitties guys i can hardly wait to hit the water

Get some this weekend Mate!!! Fishies that is.... and if you can get anything else whistle Priorities........