• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Starter Problem?

fishin58

Try hooking up the battery cables directly to a known good battery. No jumper cables, booster packs etc. I had one once where the starter cranked slowly like you described. I tried hooking the booster pack to the battery, solenoid, and directly to the starter and nothing worked. Pulled the battery out of a different boat, hooked it up (directly, without jumper cables) and the starter spun the motor over great.

You're absolutely right MM, no fuse.

fishin58.

Have you load tested the battery yet?

When the dealer tested it, he just layed it down on the bench, hooked up cables, it spun, kicked up and he said "yup, she's good", right? Thats a no-load test. You've said before that it spins good without the plugs in it, right? Either you have a bad connection as MM suggests or the starter is bad. To eliminate the connection issue, have you tried connecting directly to the starter,( I have a heavy duty remote switch for this) both pos and ground. If you try this, make sure the key is off.

Do you have a volt meter? Or an amp meter?

He had a deal hooked up to a booster pack, with a remote that you could control the juice going to the starter. He tried it a few times and like he described it alomst jumped off the floor. So it must have had some torque behind it.Load testing has been done and the battery is still listed as okay. But I am going to try a new one this weekend. boatfixer we had hooked jumped thru the solenoid and it still chugged if that is what you meant?

If I understand your post correctly, you connected a battery through some method directly to the solenoid, right?

If you still got the chug chug then it sounds like it's time for a starter rebuild.

I understand it spun fine with no load, but if it won't with a load and you've already bypassed all the cables and connections then you're done with troubleshooting, it's the starter.

marine_man

UPDATE, thank you MM and boatfixer, I took it to another boat shop and they load tested the starter, = burnt armiture!! They also found a leaky seal with my carbs, so she is back to purring like a kitten or as close as an ol 2 stroke can do!. Thank you guys for your imput and you were spot on! Nice work, also I cannot remember the last time my motor cranked so fast, I guess I had gotten used to the way it sounded.