• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Red crappie minnows

Does anyone know where you can get these minnows in the metro area? The last time I got minnows from Frankies in Chisago City there were a few red ones in with the rest and they definatey out produced regular crappie minnows. I saw on a post from the Alex. forum that they are available up there and that they are yearling Fatheads. Thanks.

Buy some minnows, put them in a coolwhip container along with some red food coloring and put them in the fridge for about two days...they'll produce just as well. You can do about any color.

------------------
Plastics...making better fishermen without bait! Good Fishing Guys! CrappieTom
[email protected]

CrappieTom...Thanks for the reply. I don't have any Coolwhip containers. Can I use Land-O-Lakes Fresh Buttery Taste Spread containers or do I have to go buy some Coolwhip? (just kidding) Seriously, the reds that I used were almost an albino color with a slight orange/red tinge to them. I don't think I can duplicate that with food color but I will try it if you think they will work just as good. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by aftacrops (edited 01-08-2004).]

I bought them at Vados as well. They are albino (amelanistic) fatheads; the reason they are not pure white like most albinos is because their skin is thin enough that you can see the red color of their blood through the skin.

I haven't been to Vados lately so I don't know if they still sell them there. They seemed to be a big thing with the bait dealers for awhile. Crappies love them. They are excellent on walleyes in low light too.

They are called rosey reds, they are actually a gold colored fathead, they are not true albinos, they have black pigment in their eyes, albinos do not. Vados still has them, so do many pet stores...

------------------
simul iustus et peccator

><}}}("< ---><!>

You should be able to find Rosey Reds at almost any pet store Ive baught them at My local Walmart but they dont always have them. Ive never fished with them yet, I fed them to my Pet muskie and gar a.k.a.(Mo and Par). I wasnt sure if those rosey reds were legal for fishing, but I'm sure they would be more visable to any fish looking for a easy meal.

They should be easy to find (they sell them for around 5 cents each if you buy more than 50 or so.

Fishdog.

Fishdog.

------------------

They are just a different variety of Fatheads. You can get them at S&W Bait in Brainerd (I know this doesn't help the metro folks) for $3.99 a scoop.

------------------
Tight Lines,

JP Z