• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Downy or Hairy?

Catmendo

Not sure about this one either Steve, it wasn't hanging around long enough to get some decent photo opps and there is some blurring to contend with. My guess is leaning towards the Hairy....?

271_7129-1.jpg

This guy needs no intro or identification... smile

271_7122-1.jpg

Stu, because of the blur and the angle, it's hard to say. Downies' bills are finer than haries' and are smaller in proportion to their heads than hairies are, but this one presents quite a few challenges.

Care to try again? gringringrin

If someone was to bet me a case of Kokanee, I'd say it's a downy, and we'd send the image to Birder's World Magazine online to settle the bet. gringrin

It is hard to tell the difference without some way to judge the size. Downy is a little bigger than a chickadee, hairy is larger than a robin.