• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Garage Door Spring

chasineyes

I have not done one personally, but I do have some fond memories from my childhood watching my dad do it. There was always much swearing, and usually the wrenches ended up stuck into the header and a "wow that was close".

But in all seriousness, those springs are probably one of the most dangerous things around a house. I personally won't touch them, especially since it is probably only $150-200 to have a pro come out and do it.

I also had someone come out and replace ours. I figured it was better to leave it to someone who does it for a living and be safe instead of trying to save a few bucks.

Check out the thread Dtro listed and then decide if you want to tackle it. There are different size springs so you'll need to know what to buy. If you do it yourself consider replacing both as they lose power over time. If one went the other may not be far behind. I'm pretty sure if you google it you'll find some websites that have diagrams and such that help a lot.

I did it myself. First of all get the cars out so you can go buy the parts. Secondly, consider it a two day job. You'll spend a couple hours on it the first time and drive yourself nuts. Within 5 minutes of feeling your blood pressure his 185/140 quit, go inside and forget about it. Then when you've had a chance to sleep on it and get it straight in your head go try again.

Last piece of advice - do not attempt after consuming alcohol or other controlled substances. It is almost counter-intuitive and so you'll need all the synapses working in order to get it done correctly.