• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

when do you take a fish on a tipup

Gus

I've heard it every way possible, but when do you set the hook when fishing tipups and why? ASAP? Do you wait for the initial run to stop then set hook? Do you wait for the second run to start?

Sounds like you are referring to Northerns?

With walleye, as soon as I feel solid resistance I set. Each fish could hold the bait and hook differently so it is never a for sure scenario.

With "Jacks" it all depends on how soon you noticed the flag and if it is still "runnin" when you arrive.

I prefer waiting until the initial peel has ended, pull in slack and set hard! You can often miss Northern that are positioning the bait in their mouths. That will happen.

However, I have ripped them right in the middle of a hard peel and have secured a solid hook set.

Trial and error and a little good timing!!

Keep the rods bendin'!!!

Jim W

Jim, you are correct I was talking about northern fishing. I usually Jig for walleye and use my tips for northern and occasional eye so I usually play it like a northern.

The main thing I was looking for in the post is info to help improve my ratio of landed fish to flags.

Thanks

Ebass, thanks for that reminder. I wouldn't say I use poor quality hooks, but I know there not top of the line. I'm almost out so it's probably time to get some good ones.

What are your favorite brands of hooks?

thanks

It sounds like everyone has their own way... and that is why fishing is unique.

I like to let the fish run and then soon as the fish stops, and give it a little line (I think this allows the fish to help take the rest of the fish into its mouth), once the line goes tight again I set the hook and hold on. This technique seems to work for me. Good Luck trying out these different ways.

Walleye #1

I second Swamp Scooter on the Red Gami's for active walters.

Most of the time I have a jig on my tip up. Like a gem n eye or whatever. It was an older gem n eye that didn't have a sharp point. I sharpened it a tad and haven't missed any yet. Haven't caught many this year though either.

Otherwise I pretty do the same as everyone else. Let it run till it stops. Give a litte extra line so it can't feel me. Then slowly start pulling in on the line till I can feel the weight and give a snap of the wrist, and not a big snap unless I'm going for pike.

My buddy from Oklahoma put his whole body into the hookset when he felt the fish on a tip up. He like jerked both arms and made the tip up jump. It was hilarious for me. He didn't get that one, but he has camled done on his setting power and so far caught the biggest one in my crew a 22" on Tonka. (guessing on the length but it was a nice fish.) (newbie luck grin.gif)

This might be a good tip, but kinda common sense to. If the fish is moving to your right set the hook to the left.

For me, I will set the hook when I get to my tip up. I usually have them 10-40 yds away, and by the time I get to it sprinting, pull it up, I set the hook. Have only missed one fish this year so far. I don't like to let them take it too long because of gut hooked fish. If the fish is not running when I get there I will feel for resistance than set the hook.