• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
riverboy

Transporting Propane tanks

I recently picked up a 5lb propane tank and a Mr. Heater sunflower heater. Is it safe to transport a propane tank with the heater attached, on its side? The heater is too tall when I put the cover on my fish trap. As long as the valve is turned all the way off would there be a problem? Or should a propane tank always be up right?

Thanks

I transport mine on its side but I take off the Mr.Heater so it doesnt get bounced around and kink the tubing or loosen fittings. Carry a cresent wrench with and it only takes a minute to put it on or take off. Also get one of those safety valve plugs for your tank. If it accidently gets turned on this will help slow the leak quite a bit. Odds are if the valve is off it wont turn on by itself in transport.

I use the 11 pound cylinders of propane and they fit just right in a milk crate. I use the plastic of fiber glass crates. The tank then has a more stable base to sit in. I can use the handle to grab it easier and I keep a cresent wrench in the crate all the time.

------------------
"I'd rather be fishing"

Mike

I recently refilled a 20# LP cylinder and asked about transporting it on its side. The LP guy (lotta years of expirence) told me there is no problem, just dont let it roll around, only makes sense to me.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the new tanks have some sort of safety valve that closes if the tank isn't vertical?

You guys really need to strap those tanks down. A couple of eye hooks and a bungy cord will do it. You could be driving around and get in to a accident, you have either a bomb or a big flying projectile or both. Look in a truck that delivers any kind of compressed gas. This is a big safety issue. I've seen what a loose tank can do in a accident.

Scotty

Scotty, Those tanks really do make neat rockets, My welding gas guy told me of one of his former co-workers several years ago, an oxy tank tipped over in the back of his delivery truck and broke off the valve. Fortunatly, it didn't hit him, but it did shoot through the plate steel box the truck cab and out the windshield,it hit the back end of a parked car and really did a number on that. Wasn't long the guy moved on, figuring he wasn't gonna tempt fate. Guys, it's okay to lay them down on their sides, but for SAFETYS SAKE, strap 'em down tight! AS you all know and as fate would have it, it'll be aimed at something YOU care about.

------------------
NOBODY ever died, wishing they had fished....LESS!!

In order to transport safely the tank should be in an up right position; if they get warm and vent you don’t want liquid propane leaking out. Also it is illegal to transport more than forty pounds inside of your vehicle.

I'd take the heater head off. Those thermocouplers are 12 bucks a pop, and break really easily.
Thanks for the heads up on the no more than 40 lbs, I've got my hazmat think I could throw a placard on the front and call it good when I bring up three tanks? wink.gif

I had one cook off in a house fire years back. Darn near @#$% my pants. Lucky for me I had big baggy turn out gear on. grin.gif

Scotty

Another thing, don't bring a full tank into your warm house for the night. I know someone who did this right after a fresh fill. It expanded and leaked into his basement. The water heater ignited it and blew the house 1 foot off the foundation. Luckily he survived with some pretty good burns.