• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fox kits logging in

I didn't really want to piggyback on Ken's fine fox kit post, even though I made a joke about adding images there.

So here are a couple more from an ongoing series of those kits. It's sure going to be interesting to see how their pelts turn out. One of the parents is a cross phase, and while I'm not sure if it was the other parent, I saw a fox with a typical pale red coat a couple days ago about a quarter mile from the den.

This old aspen log is only about 20 feet from where my hide is set up, and they sure love perching on it.

The alert viewer will see the color temperature is different in each image. I was experimenting. Do you like the warmer or the cooler balance better?

Shot with the Canon 70-200 f2.8L at 200mm, iso400, 1/125 at f2.8, +2/3 exposure compensation, tripod

2585585210_63f36f1e04_o.jpg

2584773347_be477f2114_o.jpg

And here's a shot of the adult at the den I posted a few weeks back for coat comparison. I haven't seen pics of pups that developed into silver phase adults.

2548888692_22a709c811_o.jpg

I really like the first one Steve. Both the shot and the color. I googled fox kits to see if I could find anything like these, and the only shots I saw that were close were from Alaska where it was documented that one parent was red and the other was "silver". The color patterns were very similar.

Thanks, Ken. Now I'm REALLY eager to see the other parent at the den. I know fox pelage is genetic, so the fact that these kits might the the offspring of a silver phase parent really makes me hope to see the parent.

Not that the other parent necessarily is silver. Hair color, whether in other mammals or humans, can be a recessive gene. We'll just have to wait and see.

Boy, you got that right. A new discovery in the annals of science, the fox/wolverine cross! WAY different than a cross fox, though I imagine a union between the two would leave the fox just a little cross. gringrin

Thanks, Buzz!

I'm wondering that too, Jonny. Not soon, I hope, but for sure come August if not earlier. It's August when I usually see half-grown fox running around the roads and getting smacked by cars. frown

They are all great shots but the shots of the kits just bring a smile to my face cause they are just to cute (now if they could stay that way) I am going to start a new post of some bad shots of a fox in our driveway that seem very similar in markings to the young but it is a adult.