• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
cleats

gps

Was wondering how the garmin gps work in the winter time or does the cold weather slow them down.

I have used the garmin gps3+ for the last 5 years and it has been a great tool for lots of things. never had a problem with it. In very cold weather on start up it takes a little longer for the first screen to come up but once it is going it runs great.

I have the Magellan Sportrac seems good in cold weather now all I have to do is learn to use it grin.gif but use NiMH Batteries they last longer in the cold.
I dont know about the others but mine floats.

------------------
en kala
(I fish)

I picked up a Garmin Rhino 120 about 2 months ago. I've had it out several times in the cold and snow, geocaching and fishing. The GPS and radio both work great. The radio also work very well with other brand radios.

garmin 12 here. Had it for several years now. still kicking and going strong. Never had any problems with it. As mentioned earlier, the first screen initializes a little slow. But after that shes fine.

Iam on my second GPS, both are Garmin. I had the GPS12 but I wanted the mapping function for snowmobiling so I upgraded to the GPS MAP76. I have carried both in my coat pocket and many times below zero with no problem. The LCD is the only thing that could slow down and these are low temp units. You should have no problems.

The GPS76 is waterproof and it floats so go ahead if you want and let it hit the water. The only bummer would be if it fell into the hole so hard that it went under the ice. I guess someone would be happy finding it in the spring!

[This message has been edited by Killin Time (edited 01-08-2004).]

I have a Garmin GPSMap76S....works well in all weather conditions. I always keep it in a shirt or vest pocket close to my body while ice fishing. Keeping it warm helps in performance in my opinion. My unit rarely loses satellite reception even when under my coat. Keeping the unit warm helps the screen update more quickly and lengthens battery life.

Another thing on the garmin 72, garmin 76, garmin map76S. They all float when dropped into the water. Been looking at the map 76S, just waiting for funds!

“Magellan Meridian” The only way to go…
I have dropped it out of my truck, dropped it on the ice, it can sure take a beating.
It also floats all though I have not needed to use that feature. YET!!!

------------------
Hook Em Good!!!!!!!

S.D. Ice Angular;
NRA, DU, NWTF,
Varmint Hunter
& NAHC Life Member

S.D. I have the Magellan SporTrak Pro. The Magellan units do float, found out the hard way.

I had the smallest bit of moisture get in, fogged the display ever so slightly. Dried out and haven't had a single problem with it.

Unfortunately my cell phone ended up in Davey Jones locker.

Garmin EMAP, I think it is now discontinued, but I love it. In my opinion, get one with mapping features. Doesn't float!!!

I mount my Garmin 162 on my front rack for winter duty. I really like the big screen when I'm driving across the lake. I also use the Bluecharts for Lake Michigan and they are awesome.

------------------
Wables

I got a Garmin map 76s for christmas. It works great in the cold. I attach mine to the front rack of my atv and have no problems do to the cold. I just have to remember to put fresh batteries in it.

Are the battery life estimates that Garmin publishes for their GPS units pretty accurate? I have an older Garmin and it eats batterys like crazy thats why I am wondering if the new units last as long as they say.

I am on my 2nd Garmin. The latest is the 176C. Now it is mounted on my 4 wheeler. During the last cold snap, I forgot and left it on all day. When I left later in the evening I found it still on and working perfectly. Temp was about -8.

I have a Magellan Meridian Marine. Sweet unit and no problems in the cold. I highly recommend the mapping feature if you are purchasing new.

I have a Garmin Etrex. It works just fine in the cold. Last time I used it, it was almost -20 outside (walking into the BWCAW north of Lake Vermilion last weekend). The display screen moved more slowly than in warm weather, but that was all. Worked famously (and I marked the spot we caught our lakers for the return trip this weekend.) grin.gifgrin.gif

Besides, all these hand-helds are so small you can easily slip them into a pocket next to your body if you think cold will be a problem.

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

I have a Garmin 176C. My previous was the 45 which I still have. I have the 176C set up on my 4 wheeler with the cigarette lighter plugin. Forgetfully, I left on all day in the cold weather. When I left later in the evening it was still functioning perfectly.