• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MarCum LX3or fl-18?

jsj1970

I'm thinking of picking one or the other up.I know what I would be getting with the fl-18. the lx-3 is an unknown. those of you that have fished it this year give me some info? PLEASE! Thanks jsj1970.

I was a Vexilar user for years, and after seeing the LX-3 in action I made the switch rather quick. Don't get me wrong, both will get the job done, but the LX-3 is my number one choice. I've seen and fished with the FL-8, FL-18, LX-1, and LX-3, and the LX-3 is at the top of the list in my opinion. The target separation, power, zoom feature...all of these are superior to the FL-18. I was a skeptic at first, I had my Vexilar and I was comfortable, but like I said, after seeing and using the LX-3 I was hooked! A very nice flasher and priced the same as the FL-18. If you want to check out the LX-3 or LX-1 in more detail check this link out:

LX-3 and LX-1

Feel free to e-mail me with any questions.

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
First Choice Guide Service

[email protected]
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy

jsj1970 I've got the LX3 and am an Ex Vex user. Without a doubt the LX3 has better target separation. It also has a crisper readout, no more blobs like I would get on the Vex. I used both units side by side. Multiple suspended fish on the Vex would show as a big gob but with the MarCum you could pick out individual fish in a group along with still seeing your jig inside of that layer of stacked fish. The MarCum will fine tune your your presentation. Instead of getting close with your jig now you can put that jig right in front of the nose of any fish within that school instead fishing a blob. I also found with the better target separation of the MarCum you won't need the zoom with suspended fish. Now for them bottom hugging fish the MarCum's zoom will give you very high detail.

The MarCum Digital Charging System is another plus. Plug the charger on and it'll tapper down automatically when that battery is charged, no more boiling batteries. An LCD readout gives you battery charge statues at a glance.

MarCums Interference Reduction is far superior to the Vex. Fishing the Vex and MarCum side by side both units handled interference with no problem. I added a third flasher 50' away and the Vex had trouble with interference while the MarCum had no problems and kept on working with no interference and no additional tuning to the IR feature.

MarCums 1500 watts along with the 20 degree cone angle has plenty of power to penetrate deep water but also has the ability to fish in very shallow water without needing suppression cables like the FL8 and 8se or the LP mode like the FL18.

MarCum's 20 degree cone angle will show you suspended fish on the outside of its bigger cone before fish adjust to the depth of your jig. So instead of fish coming to you you go to them.

When we fish the MarCum and Vex together and the guy with the Vex seems to be looking at my MarCum more then his Vex.
Does the MarCum catch more fish? No I catch the fish, the MarCum is a tool that helps me catch more fish.

My old color television has what I consider a pretty good picture and I'm happy with it. If I needed a new on I'd most likely buy a High Definition TV.
I'd have to pay a lot more for the HD TV.
The LX3 is priced close to the FL18.

HuskersRule,

I just bought the new Lowrance Ice Machine X67c. I have fished Vexilars, and in my opinion, the Ice Machine is the new and best graph/flasher out there on the market for ice fishing. It has all the options plus 100 more than any conventional flasher. I have been using it for about a month now, and nothing can touch it. All my buddies who still fish Vexilars want to get one now.

After using conventional flashers for years I was used to how they respond. The first time I graphed a fish, I had my sensitivity at 100% and the 5" perch looked like a 10 lb. northern. Since then I have learned that it doesn't take much sensitivity to graph fish. With the screen scrolling devise you can easily pick up the thermocline layer and where fish are holding in the water column. The zoom is awesome. You can zoom into the bottom less than 5'. They are 4 displays and within each display there are about 10 different ways to run each display.

I guess I better quit rambling on because I starting to sound like a salesman.

Thumbs way up!

The LX-3 gives you the most features for your money in my opinion and is a great open water unit as well. It gives you the best available target separation, an adjustable zoom window, and the interference rejection is second to none. The higher power output also allows for better readings through poor ice. Despite the high power output, this unit is a LOT quieter than my FL-8. Take a look at the units and compare what features are avialable.

I saw the Lowrance ice machine in action two weeks ago, there were so many colors and so many lines on the display, i couldnt tell what was the jig and what was fish.

Thats what confused me the most. i guess i like the three color better. i only need to see my jig,bottom and red. three colors, three targets. the lowrance just confused me.

Whitetip,
It's very easy to tell what is what. There are five colors on the screen: black being the weakest, then blue, then green, then yellow, then red being the strongest. The different color represents a stronger single. You can adjust the color lines to make the signal stronger/weaker and you can also adjust the sensitivity of the unit, so in essence there are 2 setting for sensitivity.

Walleyeking,
Read my post above.

Huskersrule,
Everyone who used to own a Vexilar, who now owns an Ice Machine, loves it. As they say: The proof is in the pudding!

Another great debate. I was a proud vex user, but also a frustrated vex user. My gig is fishing with 1 to 2 buddies all winter either portable or in a nice trailer unit. The interfearance was my first headache, not to mention I fish Bald Eagle and Boot most of the time and found the movable Zoom crusial. I read all the debates last winter on this very web site. I made my switch to the LX-3 and haven't looked back. Like I said, it boiles down to what you want. I wanted to lose the IR and have a moveable zoom. Now that I'm seasoned I can tell the good fish from the pesky with the zoom, and pick them apart like the pros on this site.

Thanks to all those who guided me through my charging problem. In the end, I charged my existing battery for three days straight and it finally came around. Then I found another battery I forgot I bought last year so I charged that up as well.

Good luck in whatever you buy. Really they're all going to help you catch fish, like the above mentioned, you catch the fish, it's a tool not the means to the end.

Good Fishin!

was out today on the ice and saw a guy with an ice machine. he said his buddies vexilar was giving him alot of interference and he couldnt do nothing about it but move but he didnt want to move off the fish so he just shut his ice machine off.

Surface Tension, New to this forum and have been reading heavily on the Flasher debates. I am close to making up my mind but one questionshas not been answered for me. In regards to your statement "MarCums 1500 watts along with the 20 degree cone angle has plenty of power to penetrate deep water but also has the ability to fish in very shallow water without needing suppression cables like the FL8 and 8se or the LP mode like the FL18". Is this not a contradiction in terms or am I messed up? I thought the LP mode on the Vex was to shut down the power enabling you to fish in shallower water without all of the clutter and if so, how does the Marcum LX-3 enable you to do this if it has nearly 4X the power of the Vex? If someone can clear this up for me I would be grateful. Everyone I go with fishes Vex so if I get a Marcum, peer pressure surcoms to this thing working fantastic or else!
Thanks also to everyone who has responded the Vex vs. marcum debate. Fishermen rely on fishermen for accurate reliable answers and most people on this forum seem to adhere to that policy. (Lord knows the retailers sure don't know too much about these flashers!!) Good fishing!

I got a little trick that I can do with my Fl-18 at certain times. I can actually move my auto zoom (AZ).
If I am fishing for suspended fish (mainly crappies) and I get a good strong thick reading of fish I turn the gain all the way up. Now most of my screen is red until were the highest fish I am marking is then its clear. Then switch from AZ to normal and back to AZ again. Now the zoom should of locked in at the depth the strongest reading was at. So now you have a zoom at 5, 10, 15 feet off the bottom, it just depends on were the stongest reading is, and maybe that will be bottom if the fish are not thick enough to get a good reading.
Once you are set with the AZ just turn the gain back down again and start fishing.

I do this all the time when fishing for suspended crappies and it works great!

------------------
AKA PikeEye 300

BriBay To answer your question about the MarCum's performance in shallow and deep water. Its not a contradiction in terms.
Any sonar worth it's salt can do that. The receiver is matched to the output. Besides Vex,I haven't seen any sounder use suppression since the very early flashers with the exception of a few high end salt water sounders and their application is totally a different subject.

I've used the MarCum in shallow, moderately weedy conditions and it performed great. Was able to see weeds separated from the bottom, was able to tell bottom density, see my jig and see fish. Thats everything you "should" expect out of any sounder today. The deepest I've fished with the MarCum is 45' and that was for Lake Trout. Again the MarCum performed as expected.

I'd just like you all to know I purchased a fl-18 earlier this season, and today I had to hunt down a LX3, all this hype I gotta try one myself, sure I could wait til tomorrow and borrow one, to just see, but I didn't. Tomorrow I'll have the comparison of my own, I do like the charging system better on the marcum right off the bat. I pretty much have my FL-18 that I've used a half dozen times pre sold, $300 just so I can have a marcum of my own.

Thanks Surface Tension. I found a retailer today that said if I did not like the LX-3, I could return it for a FL-18. This forum has me talked into the Marcum, although I'm pretty sure that I will like either unit.

I still wonder why Vex came out with the LP mode though!?

BriBay You'll enjoy the MarCum.

The LP mode on the FL18 cuts the output to 200 watts, the suppression cable does the same for the FL8. Its somewhat of a fix for shallow water. Theres times when you'll have the gain set to 0 on a Vex and you still have to strong of a signal. This is when you'd use the LP mode.