• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

hand held sonars a good investment?

gophish

hey,
my friends got vexilars for xmas so i dont have to spend that money right now. (i'm in college, money is tight) but i was thinking of buying a hand held sonar. seems like it would save a lot of timein drilling holes and fiding spots cus you dont have to drill a hole and then put the vexilar in to check depth, but i dont know much about either one.

Better buy the flasher first. You can find the depth with a flasher and see fish and your lure and how they react to it. The handheld will save you time finding structure but it isn't going to give you the information you need to fish effectively. I've used both the LX3 and LX1 from Marcum and love them both. The target separation is excellent. If money is a problem try the LX1, it will do what you need it to do.

Ron Anlauf

gophish...all of the flashers dont need a hole drilled to check the depth of the water....all you need to do is pour a little water on some clear ice and put the transducer on top of the water that you poured on the ice and itll say the depth....i have a FL-18 pro pack and i also have one of those handheld depth finders......... the handheld has been sitting at my house all winter so far...i rarey use it...save your money and buy a vexilar...

------------------
www.bearpawguides.com

Last Sunday I took Dennis Steele, Jimmie, and Jim W. to a local lake and got them set up to fish both crappies and catfish. Jim W had along a Murcum handheld that shot thru the ice with very good accuracy and marked fish which were indicated by beeping. All it took to get this info was an ounce of water on the ice. I am not saying that this would be a logical substitute for a flasher, but it would sure save some all important time.

------------------
Plastics...making better fishermen without bait! Good Fishing Guys! CrappieTom
[email protected]