• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

what type of Rapala for shore fishing?

does anyone have any advice on what type of Rapala works best fishing walleyes from shore? Also any certain color work better for the most part? I can only purchase a couple since they are over 6 bucks, what do you guys recommend?

Thanks

Kind of depends on a couple of things, the time of year (water temp) and the water depth. Water temp is important in distinguishing between stick (minnow style) baits and shad baits. Water depth is important so you get a lure that runs that the correct depth.

In spring and fall lots of guys go with husky jerk-baits, or with count-down (sinking) rapalas to allow them to get down to the bottom for the majority of their retrieve. These are minnow style baits for cooler water. Look at Smithwick Rogues too, very similar, work great, a little cheaper.

For warmer water in summer and for deeper water, shad raps are good (although they don't cast very far).

Regarding color, I'd try a bright bait like clown or silver/blue on bright nights, and a darker color (perch maybe) on dark nights. But if I was only going with 1 color it would be firetiger.

Have you checked out the shore fishing forum, you might get some good info in there too. Good luck.

I would get a handful of Countdowns. The chart/white is always a good option to start with as are blue/white and fire tiger or perch.

Husky jerk-baits can be good also, but I do better with them in the fall.

The Originals are good if you only plan to fish a couple feet down. I use them on fairly weedy lakes when wading out.

it depends on what kind of waters you are fishing. is there a lot of wood or weeds? deep water adjacent to shore? I would say you can't go wrong with a shad rap or a husky jerk-bait/x-rap

but you want to choose something that combines the best castability with the right running depth for where you are fishing