• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I have it all!!....now what...

SCHAAKATTACK

New portable & buddy heater last year, new auger before xmas and now a new fl-18. I am pretty happy with my equipment. Now I just need to find the fish! I thought about how much is invested and went Dang! I could have bought a lot of fish to eat with that. Or maybe a nice trip up north. I still have a lot to learn. I have had the Vex out once so far and I am happy to have the split screen feature. I don't feel I will buy an underwater camera(I do see some benefits with one)I just thought my luck would be a little bit better being better equipped. Still having fun, just trying to convince the wife to come out and enjoy but need to get on some fish to see a return on my investment. Not trying to empty the lake either I would rather catch & release a bunch of fish rather than take a few home.

I'm in your same position. I have all the new equipment. Just need to get the vexluar and I'm set. I've been out 3 times with no luck yet. But, I'm having fun. I'd rather catch and release a bunch of fish as well.

When you spread that investment out over the years, you soon forget the initial cost. As time goes by, and you take good care of your equipment, you'll find that ice fishing becomes very inexpensive. I think we all take the plunge from time to time to upgrade our stuff. It's been about four years since I made a big ticket purchase for this sport. My downfall is and will remain compulsive buying of rods and reels. If it weren't for that, I'd only be buying new line and terminal tackle. And since I seem to have a lifetime supply of terminal tackle, it's now down to line and bait. ....T

you seem to have all the tools for catching fish. all the basics (portable, heater, auger,flasher, and the big one tackel.) you will never have enough lures. and all the other gadgets. the good thing is most of this stuff if you take half way decent care of it will last you a very long time. the only new ice fishing equiptment i have bought in5 years is a fl-18 (worth twice what i paid) ive had my auger since i could drive (16 years) and it will keep up with anyones.

fishing is like any hobbie / sport it all cost something the question is do you enjoy it.

The only way to catch some fish is to spend time on the ice. One nice thing about ice fishing is that there aren’t many choices in presentation or technique. It's basically bait on, line down the hole and watch the sonar for targets. Finding a spot to fish is not that difficult because people tend to congregate on the reefs and points especially on the larger more popular lakes. Just keep a reasonable distance between you and those that are already there. Sometimes you can inherit a hot hole when the owners vacate the area.

If you are real novice, hire one of the guides that post on this site to take you out. If your guide is a good one you will get your moneys worth in fish and information. You can stay at a resort and the owners will advise you of the areas to fish and what bait and lures to use.

A nice 5 day trip is Winne, Red and LOW. Stay at Winne for couple days for some consistant perch action, then move to LOW for walleyes and drive down to Red for an afternoon. There are lots of accommodations on Winne and LOW and there are plowed roads.

Good luck.

korn_fish,

I'm going to hold you to the GPS and Lakemaster comment. I just peeled out the cash yesterday and got the Lakemaster software. It certainly looks good but I'm afraid that all the spots I have picked out with the software already have houses over the structures or shelfs. This weekend will be the tell tale sign if it helps me 10-fold!! Thanks for the advice.

So far, it's eaten up about 2 hours of time getting the GPS coordinates of places that look real good. I'll post up after using it regarding the accuracy of finding locations. As long as I can pick spots that look good for holding fish the software and GPS should get me there. Then the Vex and lures w/100lbs of luck ought to make something happen!!

Depending on the lakes you are looking at and whether it's that reelbottom stuff or not, don't be surprised if you are only within 300-500 yards of the spot you are looking for. I have the general minnesota software. I must admit that it gives very detailed maps of so many lakes, which is certainly a huge benefit. However, when trying to locate a specific point or turn, etc, I have been a long, long ways off. Just letting you know, so you don't set your expectations too high.

I'd really like to see the upgraded product that they provide for some of the larger, more popular lakes.

Let me know what you think.

EBass,

I got the Oxygenator by Aquainnovations at the Gander Mtn. in Forest Lake. It's $49, but it'll last at least 20 years (the company said) and will save ya lots on minnows!!!

Good luck out there!

Headin' to the Bahamas with the GF in the morning. Gonna do some deep sea fishin'.

Boy I dunno, reading the start of this post, if I equated the amount of money that I spend on fishing equipment to price per pound of fish it would on he!! of a lousy investment. On the other hand if you look at it from an intertainment value it is a real bargain grin.gif

I just want to get out and fish period, catching a few is a bonus smile.gif