• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lantern Alternatives?

B mac

Thinking about going with a flourecent light. Just wondering if anyone had suggestions. Who makes them....where to get them....how much....what kind of battery...how long is the battery life...rechargable, etc.???

This site is always extremely helpful, and I appreciate it!!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just purchased a new Rechargeable Battery Lantern from my local Fleet Farm Store. It has 2 Light tubes and a 3 position switch to turn on 1 tube, 2 tubes or turn the unit off. It comes with 2 charging adapters, one for plugging in the house, the other for a cigarette lighter (the adapters fit neatly into a storage area in the base of the light). Directions say it will run for 10 straight hours on one tube and a full charge. It worked directly from the box but the directions say to charge for 15 hours before first use. So I have mine plugged in now. This lantern was made by Coleman (5348 Series). It was less than $30. Also it has a plastic globe, I don't know how many of the old glass ones I broke through the years. Hope this helps with your search for a new lantern.

This is my first post but have been eavesdropping on all of you for a while now. Thanks for the great info and advice.

JOHAN

Well I hope battery technology has come along in the past 15 years. If not $15 a year and not having to buy batteries seems like an ok deal to me. And not having to deal with mantles, gas and hot glass is a definite plus. I do like the idea of using the vex battery though. Do you use a seperate battery or the one running your unit? Where did you mount the light? thanks,

JOHAN

If you use the depth finder battery to run a bulb it's going to get used up pretty quick, especially if you've been running the depth finder all day. It might be enough if you're not going to fish for hours after dark. I've lit my Eskimo Grand Caravan with a 12v light with a clear lens that I found at Walmart for about $5. I mounted it to one of the overhead support posts and attached a cord with aligator clips. It lights the big house perfectly. I've also mounted a motorcycle battery under the seat for extended use. It beats the heck out of messing with mantles and smelly fuel.

Ron Anlauf

I was hoping there was a perfect alternative to propane lanterns....but apparently not!!

I would like to avoid carrying along a large 12V battery. I could probably get something to rig up and run off a vexilar or camera style battery. I can get a 12V 7amp hour battery (like the one in the vex) for about $20. I can probably locate a cheap light at wally world for around $5-10 as stated in another post.

Does anyone else have suggestions???

I use a head lamp. I have a little portable though. I paid 30 for it at Galyans but they have many makes and models to choose from. That's if you wanted to go this route. For me I like it.

Good luck

I received a headlamp for xmas this year. Used it for the first time last weekend and now know that I can't be without it. I brought the lantern along just in case I needed it. I'll be leaveing the lantern in the camping box from now on.

PS: I got the Princeton Tec, Aroura. As recommended by many of you here on FM, thank you!

Last winter there was a thread very simulair to this with guys using LED lighting. As I recall the up front cost is fairly high but they last a very long time and are not hard on batteries. Do a site search. As I recall they also had some info on where to buy the lights.

Here I foound it.

Portable Modifications

[This message has been edited by Borch (edited 01-08-2004).]

LED's are a good alternative. You can find them in bulbs and strip lights on hsolist, and they would last a very, very long time off a vexilar battery. Most hardware stores carry a small 8 watt 12V flourescent shop light that has alligator clips or a 12v plug. They run about 14.99 and heard they work well. I have a 110v 13w flourescent shop light that I plug into an inverter conected to a deep cycle battery. It will last about 36 hours on one charge. When weight is an issue I use a vexilar battery but in only lasts 3-4 hours. Either option would suit you just fine.

Fisherdog

Right now, I use a coleman northstar lantern and hang it from the ceiling of a 6x8 portable. The extra heat it provides is nice, but it just doesn't put out enough light....and the propane tanks are a pain. I always seem to break a globe during the year. I have no trouble going through at least 10-15 tanks per year at $3 each. I would much rather invest in a nice battery powered light that will last for several years with no additional expense. The LED idea seems perfect....I'm just not sure how many LEDs or what model would be best suited for a 6x8. Is this something a guy can pick up at Fleet, Wally World, or Menards? Perhaps Cabelas in GF would have something???

I certainly appreciate all the replies here!

tonka boy, great idea with the candles. wonder if a lantern would work there? i just recieved the led headband light and love it. i found that the propane double mantel light was best overall for use in portable. placed in the middle of the floor with holes in each corner worked the best.

I don't know where you live but in Minnetonka @ Galyans they had a box of head lamps of all there makes an models to play with and check out. They had batteries in them to.

Moby1 just picked up a head lamp at Walmart for 9.

I have the Black Diamond Moon Light. It suits me fine with 4 leds and runs on three triple A's. The battery pack is on the back and it's very light weight. I was telling Moby that I forget that I have it on my head sometimes. It's that light, but of course get what works for you.

B mac is that $3 for a 1 pound disposable propane? The ones I buy, Coleman usally, are any where from $1 to $1.50. You could also get a 5 pound tank and a "tree" that hooks to the tank and is anywhere from 1 foot to 4 feet tall, you can screw your lantern to the
"tree" and have the lantern off the floor.

------------------
Have a good one!
CWMN

Go to hsolist and search for 12V led, there is a guy selling 12V Led lights that have 10 leds and it screws into a standard light socket only uses a very small amout of juice, should run for hours and hours.

I thought I usually pay about $2.87 for a 1 pounder at Fleet Farm. I can't remember exactly, but I know it is way too expensive. I've even tried the refilling deal with that $20 fitting from Cabelas...it's all still way too painful for some light in a fish house! Furthermore, it's dangerous! I'm definitely going with the LED option.

Thanks for all the replies....this has given me some great information and ideas.

Tonka Boy, THAT is a saweet idea. I'm gonna try it next time out. That flickering of a flame just somehow makes me feel warmer...even if I'm not.

I use a headlamp myself. I bought a Petzl about 6 years ago for nighttime x-country skiing; It was pretty lame as a skiing device (nothing like outrunning your field of view on the downhills...yikes!), but I use it all the time for fishing at night, both summer and winter.

------------------
SERIOUSLY! It was THIS big!

I have one of those portable starting batteries with cig plug and then I took a light from my old camper shell. I put a alligator clip and cig plug on it. Clip it to the handle of the battery, on/off switch on plug outlet. Really works great for checking/setting my tip-ups.

I recieved an Aurora Head Light with the elastice band about a month ago and it works great for ice fishing. It will light up your shack, and if it is nice enough outside you can move around and not have to worry about carrying a lantern. I do like my Coleman lantern because it is bright and puts out quite a bit of heat. So have them both. You can't go wrong having both.

Walleye #1

I also got one of them Aurora Head Lights. I got it for x-mas last year. That was probably the best ice fishing present I have gotten so far. I love it and use it all the time, in both the summer and winter. In the winter it has no problem lighting up the portable and great for seeing your bobber in the hole or tying a lure on in the dark. But I still like Tonkas Idea. wink.gif
In the summer it works great for baiting your hook, tying on a new lure, or looking for something you dropped in the dark.
Overall you cannot go wrong with a head lamp. I really like mine.

------------------
AKA PikeEye 300

I bought a small lantern/flashlight thing that was made by Rayovac. Costs about $5, and runs off 4 D-cell batteries. I think you'll get about 8 hours or more of good light when you use these lights. They've got a nice little handle/stand that can be slipped over the internal frame of your portable and used the same way you would a lantern. They also have an adjustable beam.

I think it measures about 5" tall by about 4" diameter--just a guess. Lightweight, very portable, durable, quiet, cheap.

I have a coleman gas lantern. Do you guys set yours up on something to make the light brighten up more area? I have mine sitting on the floor of my portable to my right. It doesn't light up around the hole area much. I have a Eskimo Traveler. I hope I just made sense here.

Something I learned a while back...

This works great if you have a pull-over style house. Drill your regular 2 holes a couple of feet apart. Then between the 2 holes, drill one 1/2 way down. Clean the shavings out and place a candle down inside. This will in effect create both of your fishing holes to glow.

If outside, partially cover the candle hole to keep wind out. It works great and has never hindered my success. Although you do need another source of light for line tying and such (headlamp, etc...).

------------------
Tonka Boy