• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spinnerbait question

CHM

I normally have 6 or 8 rods in the boat and always throw a spinnerbait a little bit on every trip. For some reason I have not had much luck with a spinnerbait in the Alex area except on Lk Irene. I have fished Brophy, Mary & Darling and not a single bass caught on a spinner. The bass seem to want plastics, and have also hit topwaters. Just curious if anyone else has seen this this spring. Perhaps they are just getting conditioned?

Chuck

I've done alright on spinnerbaits this year.. maybe just need to slow them down a bit.. Water temps are little a little weird.. A slower presentation has been key as of late. In my area the fish are in a very hard post spawn. Very tough to put any pattern together, seems like you can catch a fish anywhere, and nowhere!

I've had zero luck as well this year on spinnerbaits. Not a single bass and I throw one on each lake here and there as well. I did catch a walleye on one, but thats it for the year. Most of my action has come from tubes/senkos. Crankbaits, spinnerbaits have not produced much for me.

I haven't throw many spinner baits this year like i have in past years, I know the reason for it is because i have found new techniques that i like to use more often. I have been throwing more swimming jigs and swim baits this years with great results. I agree with what Deitz said about down sizing, you might also want to try going bigger and faster, Really fast!!! Get a reaction strike. One other thing i used to do when i thought the bit was tough with a spinnerbait was downsize my spinnerbait.

I've done really good on them and even caught pretty big fish. The thing that has been important for me is to make very accurate casts. If you hit the bass on the head with it he or hopefully she will probably eat it. Although most of my spinnerbait fish have came early. Almost everyday I've been out, I'm on the water before 6 AM. Fished a 7:00 tourney last weekend and the spinnerbait was done by 7:30.

I avoid spinnerbaits as much as possible but they've done well for me so far this year. I keep my spinnerbait rod rigged all the time but usually only throw it along the windy side. When the time is right it has definately been a producer though.

The spinnerbait has been one of my go to lures for 25 years,but there is no doubt, that on some bodies of water the fish are conditioned to spinnerbaits. Do you put a trailer on the hook- such as a small plastic, or some kind of pork frog, or chunk? A trailer can make a difference sometimes in that is adds a bit more action ,and bulk to the bait.A trailer gives the bait a little something different that could trigger a bite, versus the dozen other spinnerbaits that were casted to the fish without a trailer Also, a trailer hook is mandatory on most of my baits.

I have started using trailers. I think the main reason for my lack of success is that I threw away a bunch of older baits - mostly with colorado blades - after I scored on a bunch of Strike King willow blade baits. I just figured that this late in the spring they should be hitting almost anything. I will try swapping blades on a couple and see what happens. Live & learn.

Originally Posted By: dfricke1010
I've done pretty well with big spinnerbaits this year reeling them in at a little bit of a slower pace

Is that how you got the pig on prior??

Yessir I usually do pretty well in certain spots out there doing that

Yikes! Keep the baits with the Colorado blades, if you got them.There is a time and a place for the thumping of the Colorado blade.I like them on a double bladed lure because it causes the lure to ride higher in the water,which is great for fishing right over the top of weedbeds.You can get a slower retrieve speed with Colorado blades, without the decrease of vibration from the blade.Gotta love those blades for slow rolling a single bladed bait with a big blade.Let us know the results of how the changing up the blades went for you.

I rarely thow a spinnerbait. I just feel that the bass are so conditioned to them that they rarely hit them. I have better luck with swim jiggs with big plastics on them in situations were a spinner would work. Not that I discurage anyone fishing with me to use one. From time to time they catch fish better than I do, but they are just not for me.

Fishing different than 495 of the last 500 guys to toss a bait at that bass can not be all that bad.

Spinnerbait is one of my go-to baits, and I have been doing well on them this year as usual, but I think I've had to get them deeper and slow-roll them more than usual. I have caught some shallow bass, but overall, I seem to be catching them deeper since season opened. If you're not slow rolling, you're probably not getting into their strike zone. Jigs have been working great for that too.

It's been about 10 years since I've lived in the Alex area, but I used to do real well on spinnerbaits on the Alex chain. Mostly on Geneva and a little on Carlos. Pumpkinseed and silver shiner with a single colorado blade seemed to be the ticket, but it's been a few years. Wind definately helps.

I think right now most folks are fishing blade baits to fast. We are in a post spawn period (Alexandria on north) and I have found males still guarding beds this past week. Slow rolling a blade along and threw the developing cabbage beds should produce some fish. Give it a couple of weeks, as they are predicting 80's for most of the coming week and blades should really start to produce.