• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Prop pitch problem?

Dahitman44

I have a 175 Suzuki on the back of my 185 trophy -- and it does not pull me out of the water on two skis!

I know I should cut out the Big Macs but at 235 pounds -- it should, shouldn't it?

I am running a stainless 3 x 15.5 R19 prop. I asked the dealer if I should pout on a 4 blade prop and he said no -- the manufacturer does not suggest it.

The trim may have been way down, that could make a difference to I guess.

Any thoughts?

It should get me out on two skis, right?

Yes, you should be able to get up easily even with that pitch prop. I know it is a big boat, but you got a 175 H.P. on it. I can get up behind my bass boat with a 150 H.P. with a 24 pitch prop on one ski. I pop right up on two. I even got up behind a 50 H.P. Ranger tiller on two and behind a 40 H.P. pontoon. Something is not right. You could try dropping to a 17 pitch or even 15 pitch for skiing situations, but I do not think you should have to with that big of motor.

If this is a four stroke 175 you should be swinging a much larger prop. Something in the 23 to 25 pitch area. The Suzi 4 strokes have very deep gears and need bigger props.

Now if this is a 2 stroker try the 17 pitch.

What are you turning for RPM at WOT? I agree that this should be able to get you up and out of the hole with a 19, and that typically you would need a larger pitch prop (like Black bay said) for this motor given your combination - a 21 or 23.. 25 might be a bit much.

Did you have the motor trimmed down all the way prior to going to full throttle?

marine_man