• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Holcombe Flowage Wisconsin

Has anyone ever fished the Holcombe Flowage for musky? there is zero info on this site in the Wisconsin section, and perusing the internet there is nothing like this HSOforum for Wisconsin fishing. Any info you may have to share is appreciated.

I fished it once last year (only time I've ever been there), and didn't see a single muskie (well, possibly one, it was smallish and I think it was a pike, but it could have been a muskie) so I'm not much help. Caught a few pike and even a few eyes, as well as had a very nice smallmouth on (might have gone 20" but a nice leap and she was free). The other muskie guys were way up in the northeast by the Jump River, maybe they were having better luck than I was. All of my "other" fish were caught on the weedline. Try some shallow cranks and jerkbaits along weed edges, as well as bucktails and topwaters over the weeds, that's what I'd try if I went back. Cooter probably has more info, he's from that area.

One more thing, be on the lookout for sturgeon. It's fun to watch them jump for absolutely no reason, just don't mistake them for a skis (I've heard others make that mistake, as different as the fish are).

Fished it last night - sturgeon indeed are jumping! We had six guys out and landed a 38.5, 43.5, and a 46. Vahn pretty much summed it up - there are a ton of good places on Holcombe. Standard issue bucktails, cranks, jerk-baits, topwaters all catch fish. Not really any secrets - fish 'fishy' looking structure. Very pretty fish out of there, lots have a beautiful green hue to them.