• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pedestal stuck in Base

bonefish

I purchased a boat with Springfield pedestals - the kind with the Tab/lever you push towards the post to lift out the seat. One of the seats won't budge. I've wiggled a screwdriver in for leverage, but still cant get it to lift out. Anyone have suggestions? Although I've been tempted to bring out some serious tools, it's an air ride post, so I don't want to get too rough with it.

I have gotten mine out with a big screwdriver. Just get it under the tab and pry it up. I should just pop out. Whatever you do don't lube the base. The best way to keep them from sticking is just to make sure they are clean.

The only problems I've had with sticking have been from two things - dirt/grit, or water, between the pedestal and the base.

If you can rotate the pedestal in the base --- not lift, just spin it, it should break free. Doesn't sound like you can do it with the style you have though?

With pedestals I couldn't rotate, I've pounded away on them (gently at first, then harder) with a rubber-coated anchor or a rubber mallet --- just knocking them side to side in 1 or more directions until they broke free.

I agree with mnfishingguy, don't lube the pedestals or bases with grease. I have wiped them down with WD40 however to try to keep the water out of there. Good luck getting it out.

The best way, I have found to free it (mentioned above) is to depress the clip, then while depressing, twist the pedestal so the clip can't go back in its hole. Now you have time to regroup and pull it up with more strength rather than hold the clip and pull.

My front pedestal seat on my new older boat was stuck, and I spun it a bit to get it to loosen up.Some sand/dirt had gotten down in the shaft, so I had to wipe it clean to keep it from getting stuck again.PerchJerker is right on with his suggestions.