• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Adding a rock driveway/parking pad?

Kylersk

I've got an asphalt driveway from my street to garage and would like to add, for now, a rock parking pad along side of my garage. I got a quote to do it in asphalt, but at this time that's out of my price range. So, if I were to add one, what do I need to do to, assuming I've already got it leveled off and I'm ready to add rock (class 5?). Do I need to put down some sort of weed barrier? Basically, any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I would cut your subgrade down to somewhere between 4-6 inches deep and then pack that really good (especially if it's sand and then I would throw your weed fabric down and then add your rock and it probably wouldn't hurt to pack it after first couple inches and if you go with class 5 get the stuff with the fines in it or if you want to go a little cheaper route get some class 5 recycle doesn't look as nice , but contains asphault and concrete pieces and after a few rains it will basicly turn into concrete once again. Oh ya and if your thinking you might have some drainage issues throw a piece of drain tile down with the sock on it. Good luck with your project

I'd probably go with class 2 on top of a good, compacted sand or class 5 base. Class 5 has a lot of fines that will kick up dust on a windy day. Plus the class 2 is a little less prone to erosion. As long as you strip all the organic material and have good subgrade material there really is no need for fabric. The problem with using recycled material like crushed concrete is the rebar that doesn't always get removed.

Make sure it's alright with city code in St. Boni to have a non hard surfaced parking area that can be seen from the street. It would be a shame to have to tear up something you just finished.

Recycled aspahlt would be ur best option but can be a lil expensive. There is always a demand for it when people see that mill goin down the road ripin it up. I would say there is no reason for fabric, ur making a parking area not a rock garden.

I agree that if you have a good subgrade you do not need to bother with fabric.

Recycled class 5 will hold together well and pack up as hard as concrete (concrete and bituminous crushed up into class 5) (usually less expensive than crushed rock) I have used recycle for a lot of parking lots that never got paved and never ran into a rebar issue. I would stay away from a sand and gravel class 5 as it will always be moving on you. Crushed rock or recycle hold together because of the jagged edges of the crushed rock. Natural class 5 is like packing a bowl of marbles.

Using millings as eric noted would be a nice topper - you wouldn't only use millings due to the cost.

You could also leave your pad a little low and then when the funds come your way the paver would just have to come in, grade smooth, and pave. Otherwise you could put in 2" of extra rock and then when you are ready to pave just cut those 2" out.

I'd hire a guy with a bobcat hourly and buy my own rock delived from a pit

I'd cut out 6" and see what you have. It is nice material (not topsoil) that should be good. If it is not decent material go a little deeper. If it is really bad material then you might want to thicken it up to 8" and put if fabric. But I'd guess you'd be fine cuting 6" and filling.

Rent a P-5 packer from the rental store and pack the subgrade and your finished product.

Whatever you do do not use crushed asphalt. It will create a very fine dust that will blow anywhere, won't soak, and will make a heck of a muddy mess.

I have 300 yards and the entire inside of my shop of this mess, and I cannot wait to get rid of. I was a mistake in the first place. Even our county decided not to use it anymore on many roads due to dust control.

I really like pea rock on top of class 5, it stays clean, looks good and drains very well not leaving water pools when it rains.

If you intend to drive heavy trucks on the area I would suggest some larger rocks undernath everything, like 2.5" or similar. If it's just regular vehicles there's no problem