• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Squeeking noise from Yamaha 4 stroke

ctuma

I have a 2006 75hp four stroke Yamaha tiller motor. I was on Mille Lacs a few weeks ago and after doing a 10 minute run from one spot to the next, I backed off on the motor and started getting what sounded like a belt squeeking sound from the motor. I shut it off and started it back up again and the sound continued. I let it sit for a while and the sound stopped. I did another run back to the landing and the sound started up again.

I called the dealer since its still under warranty. The service guy told me that when the motor is out of the water running at or near wide open,the bushings in the drive shaft are drying out and thats causing this noise. He told me they could put some grease on the bushings but the sound would come back and this is something that they see alot of. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or knows what is causing it. The boat is at the dealer now but I have not heard anything back from them yet and don't feel happy with what I was told prior to taking the boat in. A $7500 motor should not making a squeeking noise when its two years old!

So what your saying is the gear case is dried out and that might be the cause of the squeeking sound. I have had the boat a few times since the problem started and the sound seems to come and go.

I have a Yam. F150 and it does the same squealing off and on. It's been that way for two years. There's a lot of chat about this in past postings and it sounds like it's the bushing. Some dealers say that there is no harm done and it's just the design. I did see a picture on a past post showing where you could spray some lube to stop the squeal for a bit, but it never really goes away for good.

Very common for Yamahas. Buddy had a 200HP and after a long run it'd do it too. My 90 hasn't, yet. Some people will spray silicone in an area under the engine where this bushing is to quiet the squealing. Supposedly this is more of an annoyance than something physically damaged or failing.

I have a 2006 90hp yamaha tiller, same annoying sound after make long runs, usually last about 5 minutes after going back to idle then goes away. Love the motor other than that.

I also have a 2006 90hp tiller same problem. Talked to the dealer in White Bear Lake said they knew what the problem was right away just over the phone . As previously stated it was a dry bushing. They claim to have replaced it ,I don't know if they did but hasn't happened again. Dealers in Duluth couldn't figure it out. Whether it is harmful or not you should not have to listen to the squeeking noice , especially on a new motor. A little embarrassing when someone asks what that noice is and you have to say Oh that's not going to hurt anything it is a common thing. Not too good of advertising for the manufacture. Just my 2 cents

Just got the boat back from dealer but haven't had it out yet to see if the sound is still there. They greased the drive shaft. We will see if the sound is still there or comes back with time. I love the motor other than that.

I want to be a part of this group with our 2001 or 2002 Yamaha

Here is a picture I found on the Web of where to spray the silicone

"Look past the head of the silver bolt and you can see the shaft."

2612798179_8e1cef9f06.jpg

I have the same issue that started 2 weeks ago with my 07 150 4 stroke. I was going to take it in, but dont want to part with it.

Might give that lubing a shot to see if it quiets down.

It sounds like the muffler belt is worn grin

Dryer sheets I tell ya dryer sheets every time. crazy

I had a screach like no other when I fired up the motor this spring...well the story goes. I found that mice hate Bounce dryer sheets so I was going the annual stuffing the boat full of dryer sheets and thought what the heck put a few in the outboards. Trouble is I missed one on top of the moter when I checked the oil before I started it this spring. That sheet wrapped around the belt and shreaked like no other and just try and get that out at the marina. blush

On a serious note my 115 does the squek deal also, just a shot of lith grease and it stays away for a couple of weeks. (on the water every day).

I had the boat out Monday and it started squeeking again after running the boat for a few minutes. I drove it around the lake for 20 minutes and then it stopped. Didn't do it again the rest of the day. If it starts up again I'm going to call Yamaha and see what the deal is with this. Thanks all for the posts.

Well its a 04 so I think I would have seen/heard it by now dont you guys?

Anyone have and issues with your motor stalling out when you put it in nuetral? Mine has been in the shop 3 times and its still doing it.

They keep cleaning connections but thats not it. I cant remember the name of the part they keep cleaning but next time Im having them just put in a new one.

I have a 2002 115 Yamaha 4s. Had it since new and don't have any noises or any other problems for that matter. I run about 150 to 200 of gals of fuel through it every year and it hasn't missed a beat yet.

I wonder why that is then?

Some motors have it regularly and others dont see it at all.

Mine was just over a year and it squeaks on and off regularly.

Motors made at different plants? Inferior parts from some years?

I have the 2001 Yamaha 80hp 4 stroke and mine doesn't look like that, where else would I be able to spray mine? I just took it to the mechanic and he told me it's above the lower unit (inside) and there is a 50/50 chance if he replaced it it won't fix the noise. It kind of makes me mad because it use to pure like a kitten and I could hear a mouse fart but now it's just annoying.