• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

whats the best way to catch a Piker?

I want to catch more pike, but I'm pretty much a bass guy, so I know where and how to catch a bass, but what are some techniques/conditions/general locations, and how to catch a pike?

Do most of you guys who have those sweet pics up troll for northerns, or were you casting, and what were you throwing, and in what depths, or on weedline edges, water temps... anything will help.

thanks,

jq

Find a good pike lake first and foremost. You can only catch them (especially the large ones) if they are there. Next check the water temperature. Small pike will always tend to hang out in shallow weeds, but the big pike head deep to stay cool, only coming shallow for brief times or if they need to. As far as presentations, they'll hit just about anything. Over shallow weeds something bright and flashy moving quick should do well. Over deeper water or in less than ideal fishing conditions slower baits like xraps and husky j3rks work well. You don't always need to go big for big pike, they hit smaller stuff too.

My largest three pike were caught trolling. Although casting can certainly work. For the smaller pike, it's almost too easy to troll along at 3 mph along the outer weed edge with a crankbait in tow. July and August are great times for this. Try to match the forage to the crank (perch, shad, minnow, etc). Get the crank within 3 or 4 feet from the bottom and hang on.

Sometimes ride your crank in the prop wash (say 20-30 feet back). The prop kicks up and confuses the prey, and the predators like to take advantage.

Bigger pike are much trickier. They do stay deep and are out chasing the bigger prey. Harder to find, less action, but it's very satisfying when you hear that drag start to scream...

I have caught some big ones trolling over mid-lake weedy humps that come up to 5 feet or so. Then I just troll straight across it through the depth changes with a small bucktail or a daredevil. Once you get to the drop offs you will usually pick a bigger fish off. The flat areas on top are good for smaller pike and such. If there are multiple humps and a saddle in between, it is all the better.

Once you locate some concentrations of fish go back to those spots and cast them.

Good Luck,

Ryan